List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: FARMHOUSE AT CROMER FARM

List entry Number: 1101451

Location

FARMHOUSE AT CROMER FARM, CROMER

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
HertfordshireEast HertfordshireDistrict AuthorityArdeley

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 19-Oct-1951

Date of most recent amendment: 31-May-1984

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 159515

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 2928 ARDELEY CROMER (east side)

6/10 Farmhouse at Cromer Farm

19.10.51 (formerly listed as Cromer Farmhouse)

GV II*

House. Circa 1500 open hall house with 2 jettied cross-wings, central chimney and floor over hall inserted in late C16 or early Cl7, S wing enlarged to E in C17, NE wing C20. Timber frame roughcast but framing exposed outside on front of ground floor of crosswings, and upper floor of S wing. Steep old red tile roofs. An H-plan house of 2 storeys facing W. One and a half storeys hall range in middle has a galbed dormer at the eaves and a large central chimney near the S end backing onto the cross- passage. Jettied upper floors of crosswings carried on bull- nose joists and knee braces. Tension braces to upper floor of S wing. 3-windows to each floor. Flush leaded C18 lattice casements. Single hexagonal shaft to central chimney. Later external chimney on N side of N (parlour) wing with diagonal square shafts (rebuilt). Timbers exposed inside, with close studding curved tension braces, heavy square-section joists, moulded axial beam and chamfered and stopped joists in the hall, 4-centred arched rear doorway, former exterior framing of house exposed in extension, traces of large hall window and shutter recesses, hollow chamfered posts and braces of central hall truss, and smoke-blackened clasped-purlin roof (constructed without end trusses). At S, service wing axially divided. Crow-stepped decoration to upper part of hall chimney stack. (RCHM (1911) 38: VCH (1912) 194: Pevsner (1977) 72: RCHM Typescript).

Listing NGR: TL2970228225

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, A, The Victoria History of the County of Hertford, (1912), 194
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977), 72
Other
Inventory of the Historical Monuments of Hertfordshire, (1910)

National Grid Reference: TL 29702 28225

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2014 at 02:41:40.