List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: FARMHOUSE AT CHAPEL FARM INCLUDING FORMER CONGREGATIONAL CHAPEL

List entry Number: 1101421

Location

FARMHOUSE AT CHAPEL FARM INCLUDING FORMER CONGREGATIONAL CHAPEL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
HertfordshireEast HertfordshireDistrict AuthorityArdeley

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 31-May-1984

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 159538

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 3225 ARDELEY WOOD END (north side)

10/3 Farmhouse at Chapel Farm including former - Congregational Chapel

GV II*

House, and former Chapel, now one property. House late C16. Timber frame with close-studding exposed on front and rear. Steep old red tile roof. A 2-storeys, 5-bay, 3-cell plan house facing S with a continuous front jetty and central chimney backing onto cross passage a third from the W end. C17 red brick chimney of conjoined square shafts. Winding stair to N of chimney (renewed). Hall in middle with axial beam moulded with double cyma. Unheated parlour at E end with exposed framing in walls and upper floor structure. Joists rest on a rail in the rear (N) wall are not jointed to wall. Service room at W end formerly had a screen separating it from the cross-passage. S entrance by moulded 4-centred arched doorway with carved spandrels. 3 windows front with moulded and carved bressumer, small 2-light flush casement windows on upper floor and larger ones on ground floor. Plank door with decorative hinges. Moulded doorway with segmental arched head into hall. Very heavy exposed floor joists. A little altered C16 jettied house of great interest. Former Congregational Chapel at E end of house, erected 1820 as a preaching station for Wymondley Academy (datestone on W wall: VCH (1912) 198) and rebuilt 1862 (datestone on E front). Red brick with slate roofs. Grey brick used for pilasters and polychrome arch and raking cornices on E front, side lean-to porches. Triple round-headed stone window. Pointed moulded stone doorways. Main axis of chapel N-S with entrance gabled frontispiece on roadside on E. Became part of house in 1970's. (RCHM Typescript).

Listing NGR: TL3256325473

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Doubleday, A - Title: The Victoria History of the County of Hertford - Date: 1912 - Page References: 198

National Grid Reference: TL 32563 25473

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Apr-2014 at 01:48:57.