List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: BENINGTON BURY AND PETERSCOURT

List entry Number: 1101374

Location

BENINGTON BURY AND PETERSCOURT, WALKERN ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
HertfordshireEast HertfordshireDistrict AuthorityBenington

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 20-Oct-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 31-May-1984

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 159635

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

Benington TL 2923 BENINGTON WALKERN ROAD (west side)

11/5 Benington Bury, and Peterscourt 20.10.52 (formerly listed as The Bury)

GV II*

Rectory, now 2 houses. 1637 for Nathaniel Dod rector (date panel on porch and inscription in church chancel). Extended c1680, and in mid C19 for Rev Haggard. Sold 1914 and renamed Peterscourt. Named The Bury in 1950's, and divided in 1980's. Red brick with front plastered, and stone dressings to C19 work. Steep red tile roofs. Built as a 2-storeys and attics, central-chimney, lobby- entry, 2-cell plan house facing E with symmetrical red brick front with 2-storeys porch and 2 gables with moulded parapet and finials at apex and feet, and mullioned wood windows with labels. Moulded string at ground floor and plain bond below front parapet. Ovolo moulded mullioned and transomed windows. C19 cross-windows in 1st floor, some replacing C18 sashes (Buckler dwg in HRO of 1832). Porch has pilasters on bases, below an entablature with swelled frieze and triangular pediment. Chanelled rustication to quoins on upper part. 6-panel ovolo- moulded battened oak door in heavy chamfered frame. N wing, probably c1680, extends the front, with minor differences, by one gable. Timber-framed walls on each side of main staircase suggests that the N wing was part of the original plan. Rear wing of 1680 has a parlour and staircase. Front range retained when S end and rear altered and extended in C19 red brick lancet- Gothick, and chimneys rebuilt. Good interiors to main range with 4-centred chamfered red brick fireplaces to hall and chamber over, and oak stair with square newels and pendants, and table- leg balusters on landing. (RCHM (1911) 52: VCH (1912) 73: Pevsner (1977) 95).

Listing NGR: TL2973423913

Selected Sources

  1. Other  Reference - Title: Inventory of the Historical Monuments of Hertfordshire - Date: 1910 - Page References: 52
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Doubleday, A - Title: The Victoria History of the County of Hertford - Date: 1912 - Page References: 73
  3. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Cherry, B - Title: The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire - Date: 1977 - Page References: 95

National Grid Reference: TL 29734 23913

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Oct-2014 at 05:03:54.