List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW (CHURCH OF ENGLAND)

List entry Number: 1101329

Location

CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW (CHURCH OF ENGLAND), THE CAUSWAY

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
HertfordshireEast HertfordshireDistrict AuthorityBuntingford

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 22-Feb-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 159732

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 33 SE BUNTINGFORD THE CAUSEWAY (north side)

2/2 Church of St Bartholomew (C of E) 22.2.67

GV II*

Parish church of Layston parish, now used occasionally. Chancel early C13, very thick nave walls suggest an early origin but C15 details, W tower and porch early C15. Chancel restored 1904 by A A C Blomfield, tower in 1906. Flint rubble, with some Roman tiles and blue brick parapet repairs on N side,of nave, stone dressings, and roughcast _on N and E walls. Knapped flint used for nave parapets and in flushwork chequered dado around tower plinth. Steep old red tile chancel roof. Nave unroofed. A good medieval parish church with long, square-ended chancel, higher unaisled nave with diagonal buttresses, fine 3-stage crenellated W tower with spike, and parapeted S porch. Chancel has triplet of lancets at E with moulded string at sill level inside on E and S walls. 2 blocked lancets in N wall. 2 lancets in S wall with priest's door under western one, and a large 3- light C15 traceried window. Chancel arch widened in late C15 with moulded 4-centred arch and shafted jambs. Now closed by tall folding doors from the unroofed nave. C15 grotesque face as bracket on S wall still with traces of paint. Aumbrey and piscina with C13 rebated jambs and shouldered arches in E and S walls. 3-bay oak arch-braced collar-truss roof with ridge, purlins, ashlar pieces and wall posts on corbells, renewed by Blomfield. Rectangular nave with 3 tall windows in each side, blocked N door opposite S door, and openings of rood-loft stair in NE corner. 3-light windows, with 2-light windows to W of doors. Cinquefoil heads under four-centred arches and wide casement mouldings to inner jambs. SW window of earlier date. 2-centred arched N doorway with moulded square label on inside. Similar label to S doorway replaced by brick jambs. W tower has diagonal buttresses, newel stair in SE angle, C15 tower arch of 3 moulded orders with shafted jambs. W door has moulded jambs and pointed arch in a square head with traceried spandrels and label. 3-light C15 traceried W window. 2-light pointed bell chamber openings with 4-centred traceried heads. Stoup to S of W door with cinquefoil head. S porch has an original 4-centred stone entrance archway with moulded jambs under a square head with rose-in-quatrefoil spandrels. Niche over door and diagonal buttresses. 2-light side windows. Moulded parapet all round. Monuments collected in chancel: John Crouch d 1605, a splended Derbyshire spar wall monument with paired Corinthian columns flanking black marble centre, in alabaster egg and dart frame under full entablature with raised central block with carved achievement and 3 carved seated figures, the middle one flanked by infants and holding a baby: Pike Crouch d1712 but monument c1756 signed I Wilton, a Neo-Classical urn in aedicule with skull in triangular pediment and impost with guttae all in white marble on grey marble ground. Gadrooned bracket carries pedestal with Greek key band and coat of arms in relief on base of urn. Scrolled keystone to hemicycle top: Thomas Edridge d1745, a marble oval plaque with fine lettering: and on S wall William Slatholme d1665 doctor of physic, of marble with grey central panel, recessed pilasters and full entablature with broken pediment and central cartouche. C15 or C16 oak reading desk carved with narrow cusped panels in 2 rows, the upper with narrow crocketed finials rising from bottom row. Heavy curved pomegranate scroll frieze and lozenge reticulation around top. Broad front and. narrow returns. A medium sized medieval church of exceptional interest for its C13 chancel, ornate tower and monuments. (RCHM (1911) 138-9: VCH (1914) 85-6: Pevsner (1977) 223: Layston Parish Monthly Magazine July 1904).

Listing NGR: TL3693830112

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, The Victoria History of the County of Hertford, (1914), 85-6
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977), 223
'Layston Parish Magazine' in Layston Parish Magazine, (1904)
Other
Inventory of the Historical Monuments of Hertfordshire, (1910)

National Grid Reference: TL 36938 30112

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Nov-2014 at 04:17:25.