List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: VICTORIA HOUSE

List entry Number: 1101310

Location

VICTORIA HOUSE, 41 43, HIGH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
HertfordshireEast HertfordshireDistrict AuthorityBuntingford

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 19-Oct-1951

Date of most recent amendment: 06-Jul-1984

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 159788

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 3629 BUNTINGFORD HIGH STREET (west side)

7/48

19.10.51 No 41, (Victoria House) 22.2.67 and No 43

GV II*

Inn, now a house (41) and a shop (43). Front range C15 incorporating earlier N crosswing, C16 NW wing, front altered in early C18. Timber frame plastered at front, roughcast or dark weatherboarded rear parts. Steep old red tile roofs. A large 2- storeys U-shaped group, formerly the Angel Inn, with carriageway entrance to yard in the centre, and early C19 stair tower added in rear angle with jettied NW wing. Twin hollow-moulded blocked service doors on N side of carriageway and mortices for an axial partition in the bay to N suggest the cariageway represents the lower bay of the hall with parlour at S end with hipped later W extension. The front has a lower jettied and gabled crosswing at N end with rectangular oriel window on bold brackets to 1st floor and C19 3-light shop window and half-glazed door. More elaborate plasterwork on the rest of the front, with a deep coved cornice below the higher continuous front jetty, 6 foliate brackets, rusticated quoins to Ground floor, flush box triple sash windows with small panes flanking the carriageway, a 6-panel door (No 41) with Gibbs surround, exaggerated triple keystone and triangular pediment, a flush box sash window on left of door with moulded surround and 6/6 panes in broad glazing bars. Upper part in fan pargetting with 4 flush box sash windows with 6/6 panes, and overhanging eaves. Crown-post roof along front range with square posts and axial bracing to collar purlin. Remains of wallpaintings on Ground floor of No 41 around fireplace, of 2 periods. Earlier, ones of skillfull execution and solid colour with 2 angels holding Scrope arms on a shield and shield of the Trinity. Figure of saint between and sunburst patterned ground. Later work to left overlaps earlier work. Classical early C17 ornament, semi-nude shrouded figure and Roman lettered inscription. Elaborate moulded fireplace lintol. Interior of No 43 has exposed close-studding, tension braces, and heavy flat joists. (RCHM (1911)140 No 13: RCHM Typescript).

Listing NGR: TL3622229480

Selected Sources

  1. Other  Reference - Title: Inventory of the Historical Monuments of Hertfordshire - Date: 1910 - Page References: 140

National Grid Reference: TL 36231 29474

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Apr-2014 at 01:05:00.