List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: BROADFIELD HALL STABLES

List entry Number: 1101292

Location

BROADFIELD HALL STABLES

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
HertfordshireEast HertfordshireDistrict AuthorityCottered

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 06-Jul-1984

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 159844

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 33 SW COTTERED BROADFIELD (east side)

1/1 Broadfield Hall Stables

-

GV II*

Stable block. Circa 1691 probably to designs by Nicholas Hawksmoor (1661-1736) for James Forrester (d.1696), cupola removed in C19. Red and grey brick 2 storeyed stable block, the roof tiled and with one large hip and 2 small ones at the rear. The front has a parapet, returned on the W. side, and the centre breaks forward slightly under a small pedimented gable and contains the central archway and a clock in the gable, there are rusticated quoins to the angles and the centre has chequer brickwork. The ground floor windows at each end of the front have a circular recess above, both enclosed within an arched recess. The building contains 3 loose boxes in the W part and a harness room and staircase to the upper floor in the centre (the E part has been converted to a large garagespace). Theloose boxes, harness room and staircase have original wood door of 8 panels, double doors to the harness room. This building has greater architectural quality than is usual for a stable building of this size, and was complementary to the earlier house, completed c1690 now destroyed and replaced by a 1930s building.The stable block appears to have resulted from the partial rebuilding of older buildings and the addition of a formal 2-storeys facade on the S front and W end. (Colvin (1978) 402: Kerry Downes Hawksmoor (1969) 27: Hine RL Relics of an Uncommon Attorney (1951) Ch 1).

Listing NGR: TL3244931005

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Colvin, H M, A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840, (1978), 402
Downes, K, Hawksmoor, (1969), 27
Hine, R L, Relics of an Uncommon Attorney, (1951)

National Grid Reference: TL 32449 31005

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Nov-2014 at 05:43:09.