List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE GOLDEN PARSONGE AND GARDEN WALLS ATTACHED ON NORTH-EAST

List entry Number: 1101260

Location

THE GOLDEN PARSONGE AND GARDEN WALLS ATTACHED ON NORTH-EAST, GADDESDEN ROW

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
HertfordshireDacorumDistrict AuthorityGreat Gaddesden

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 22-Oct-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 19-Mar-1987

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 157873

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

GREAT GADDESDEN GADDESDEN ROW TL 0l SE (South side) 4/94 The Golden Parsonage 22.10.52 and garden walls attached on North-East (Formerly listed as Golden Parsonage) GV II*

Country house and attached garden walls. 1705 date (formerly on windvane over entrance: VCH (1908)205) for Thomas Halsey formerly adjoining older house to SE pulled down c.1774, altered c.1760 and in early C19, NW wing dated 1874 on terra cotta panel with crest. Garden walls C18 or earlier. Extensive interior alterations by Waring and Gillows c.1935 (before and after photos in NMR). Very high quality red brickwork in header bond with gauged and moulded dressings to main house. Low pitched roofs concealed by parapets, slate roof to 1874 block, tiled roofs to N extensions. A large 2-storeys square block with giant order grey brick pilasters of Roman Doric clasping each corner with corner entablature, cornice continuous around block surmounted by a moulded parapet. Similar pilaster in middle of 6 windows E elevation. More elaborate 5-windows S elevation has triglyphs in parapet over each window, stepped keystones, and brick aprons to 1st floor windows. Plainer 4 windows W front has projecting central brick porch remodelled c.1935 and no keystones to windows. Recessed tall segmental arched sash windows with 9/9 or 6/6 panes, with corbelled sills on E front and cut down to ground on S front. Triple sash window replaces 2 ground floor windows on E front. 2-storeys NW wing with 2 windows to each floor copying those of house, and half octagonal ground floor bay in middle with slate roof. Steep roofed N extension has arcaded loggia to front and tower with blunt pyrammidal roof. Interior and staircase in early C18 style largely created in c.1935, but incorporates some adapted bolection moulded panelling, some panelled doors of c.1600 with cockspur hinges, and a fireplace with green Wedgewood plaques inset moved here from a demolished pavillion of Gaddesden Place (q.v.) by James Wyatt. White marble fire surround in Dining Room with Ionic pilasters, full entablature and centre block. Roof structure of great interest showing wide-span C18 timber engineering using 12" square oak or chestnut timbers, king-posts, queen-posts, cross-bracing, and painted inscription presumably by carpenter, 'Jo Grove Sept 19: 1766', on one truss. There is an inscription beside the entrance porch outside 'SL 1766'. Extensive service buildings linked to N. E-facing arm of tall garden walls has near S end blocked windows on 2 storey-levels with flat gauged arches and blocked doorways as if part of the demolished older house. The N part of this wall has very tall, narrow, close-set, blocked windows as if for an orangery, and the walling between has later, blocked, wider windows of C19 character, some intersecting the older blocked windows. (VCH (1908)204-5: Pevsner (1977)151-2: RCHM Typescript).

Listing NGR: TL0506312536

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, The Victoria History of the County of Hertford, (1908), 204-5
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977), 151-2

National Grid Reference: TL 05063 12536

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Dec-2014 at 05:11:50.