List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

List entry Number: 1100951

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, TOLLGATE ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
HertfordshireWelwyn HatfieldDistrict AuthorityNorth Mymms

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 30-Mar-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 158545

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

North Mymms TL 20 SW NORTH MYMMS TOLLGATE ROAD (south side)

11/281 Church of St Mary the Virgin 30.3.66

GV II*

Church. Mostly C14; upper parts of W tower mid C15. S Porch and Vestry added c.1860 when the whole church was restored. Rubble and flint walls. Stone dressings. Machine tile roofs. W tower has diagonal buttresses. C14 arched door in 2 orders with foliage capitals and squares. 3-light contemporary window above; those of 3rd and 4th stages in 1 and 2 lights of c.1440-50. N aisle has 3-light Decorated style windows. N chapel added 1328- 9. Circa 1970 N extension joins N aisle. Restored chancel walls and E window. Nave has 3 arcade arches on octagonal piers. Triple chamfered chancel arch with traces of intended crossing tower and transept arches. Good monuments. N chancel wall: c.1360 brass of priest, probably Flemish; 3 brasses on S wall of C15 and C16. Large standing monument on N side of chancel next to altar to John Lord Somers (d. 1716) by P Scheemakers: marble door at foot leading to vestry, life-size figure of Justice above against a white obelisk. N nave aisle has wall monuments of C18: corner monument to George Jarvis (d. 1716) with demi figure in niche tabernacle; to Lydia Mews (d. 1751): panel with fluted pilasters. Against N wall of nave aisle is C16 chest tomb with figure on top panel in inlaid lead outline. Nearby 1795 monument to J Hickson by J Bacon. Oak hexagonal C16 pulpit with shallow carved panels. (Pevsner (1977)).

Listing NGR: TL2212704445

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977)

National Grid Reference: TL 22127 04445

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Dec-2014 at 10:16:26.