List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE KING'S LODGE

List entry Number: 1100913

Location

THE KING'S LODGE, 28, BRIDGE ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
HertfordshireThree RiversDistrict AuthorityAbbots Langley

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 02-Apr-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 158660

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL OO SE ABBOTS LANGLEY BRIDGE ROAD (South side) Hunton Bridge

3/13 No. 28 9.4.66 (The King's Lodge)

II*

Former house, now restaurant. Late C15 origins, largely rebuilt c.1640. Late C18 brick refronting and extension, extended C19 and C20. Timber frame, red brick front and additions. Tiled roof. C17 3 bay lobby entry replacing hall with earlier service bay to left, extended by 1 bay at both ends. 2 storeys and attic. Carved bracketed hood over entrance. 4 ground floor 3 light casements with arched headed lights, gauged brick flat arched heads, 3 similar first floor windows without flat arches. Over entrance and in left bay early C20 floral neo C17 plasterwork panels, that over entrance dated 1642. C18 left bay has an entrance with a carved bracketed hood. First floor 3 light casement as on main range. C19 right bay has a ground floor 2 light leaded pane casement. First floor plaster panel. Dentilled eaves throughout. Cruciform axial ridge stack. Left end stack. To rear original parlour bay has a rendered gable with exposed purlins and a large double shafted C17 external stack with offsets. Gable and lean-to outshuts and a short C19 wing to rear right. Interior: early C17 plasterwork in ground floor room. Stuart Royal Arms with 'C R' and '1642' on chimney breast, flanking lion, unicorn and foliated fleur-de-lys with vine scroll border, ceiling with binding beams, 16 panels with vine scroll borders, fleur-de-lys, lion, unicorn, rosette and Royal Arms. Some exposed framing, ovolo moulded stop chamfered fireplace lintel. 1 storey C20 wing to rear not of special interest. (Country Life 9.4.43: M Puloy Herts Archaeology, vol.8, 1983, p. 163: RCHM Typescript).

Listing NGR: TL0835400570

Selected Sources

  1. Article  Reference - Title: Hertfordshire Archaeology - Date: 1983 - Journal Title: Hertfordshire Archaeology - Volume: 8 - Page References: 163
  2. Article  Reference - Title: April - Date: 1943 - Journal Title: Country Life

National Grid Reference: TL 08354 00570

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 03-Sep-2014 at 08:00:35.