List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: KINGS JOHN'S FARM, PENN COTTAGE, PENN FARM AND GARDEN WALL

List entry Number: 1100897

Location

KINGS JOHN'S FARM, PENN COTTAGE, PENN FARM AND GARDEN WALL, BERRY LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
HertfordshireThree RiversDistrict AuthorityChorleywood

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 19-May-1950

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 158726

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ 09 NW CHORLEYWOOD BERRY LANE (Northeast side) Chorleywood

5/85 King John's Farm, 19.5.50 Penn Cottage, Penn Farm and Garden Wall

GV II*

Large house, now 3 dwellings. Early C16, restored and extended c.1910 by A. Capell. Timber frame core on a brick base with brick nogging, part rendered and tile hung. Extended in rendered brick with sham timber frame applied in a Vernacular Revival Style. Tiled roofs. Originally a large 3 bay house, wings added at both ends. All 2 storeys. Inner elevation to enclosed garden was original front. At left end of large hall bay is original plank door with iron strap hinges, moulded 4 centred head and jambs in moulded squared surround. Flanking c.1910 timber mullion leaded 4 light casements. Exposed frame, posts of large scantling and close studding. Continuously jettied first floor on a moulded bressumer, c.1910 1 and 2 light casements, exposed posts, studs and curved braces, c.1910 applied ornament. At right end of original building is an original stack with a rebuilt cap. 2 stacks with over- sailing caps inserted to left. Roof hipped to left over service bays. Attached at right end is c.1910 entrance and stair block with a wing projecting forward. Present entrance front or right end is entirely c.1910. Gabled timber porch with a 4 centred head and Gothic traceried plank door. First floor 4 light oriel. Roof hipped to front. Wing to left with leaded light casements, an external stack and hipped roof adjoins Penn Cottage. To garden this wing is similar with sham timber framing and gabled dormers. Penn Cottage was formerly a barn or stable building. C17, extended and altered c.1910 and later. Red brick, largely English bond, part whitewashed. Rendered brick additions. Tiled roofs. 2 storey gable ended block with c.1910 entrance porch at right end adjoin- ing King John's Farm. Porch has 1 and 2 light leaded pane casements flanking door, half hipped roof. In gable end of C17 block a 2 light window, moulded kneelers, elsewhere 1 and 3 light inserted casements. Plinth. Ground floor slit in left gable end wall which is rebuilt with sham timber framing. 1 storey block added to left. Whitewashed to rear. Attached at left end from garden is Penn Farm, all c.1910. To garden a jettied first floor, leaded light casements, first floor gabled oriel with applied ornament. Hipped roof with an extruded end stack with 2 diagonal shafts. Outer or entrance front of Penn Farm has scattered leaded light casements, sham timber framing on first floor with trefoil and pargetted ornament. Rear of King John's Farm, on right return from present entrance, entirely rebuilt c.1910. 4 centred head to plank door, scattered leaded light casements, first floor part decoratively tilehung, part sham timber framed, pargetting, plasterwork vine scroll frieze between storeys. Gabled dormers. Interior: ground floor stop chamfered binding beam and joists, curved braces, jowled posts, large C18 fire- place replacing an earlier one. Repositioned early C17 stair in entrance hall with barley sugar balusters, ball finials to panelled newel posts. Curved braces to cambered tie beams. Queen struts to collars clasping purlins, curved windbraces. Attached to left end of Penn Cottage is a brick wall enclosing front garden. About 2m in height, plinth, later buttresses, slit opening. W. Penn was married here in 1672. (Country Life XXXI: Pevsner 1977: RCHM Typescript).

Listing NGR: TQ0271295321

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977)
'Country Life' in Country Life, , Vol. 31, ()

National Grid Reference: TQ 02712 95321

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Nov-2014 at 10:43:57.