List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE TOWN HALL

List entry Number: 1100788

Location

THE TOWN HALL, LOAD STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
WorcestershireWyre ForestDistrict AuthorityBewdley

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 22-Apr-1950

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 156795

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SO 7875 SE BEWDLEY CP LOAD STREET (south side)

13/150 The Town Hall

22.4.50 GV II*

Town hall. 1808, probably by John Simpson of Shrewsbury, restored 1866 by Henry Rowe of Worcester. Ashlar, with slate roof, gable end stack. Two storeys, parapet with moulded cornice, central pediment with coat of arms over the central bay which is slightly advanced and has two pairs of Doric pilasters, outer corners also have single Doric pilasters; three windows: 15-pane sashes; ground: rusticated with three arches to open area; central arch larger with segmental head, the two flanking arches have segmental heads; all are filled by wrought iron gates, the grill over the central gate includes the arms of Bewdley. Behind the open area is closed by a wall with three openings with similar arches, that to left blocked, other two have half- glazed doors. Interior: upper room forms magistrates' court with early C19 flush panelled bench across one end. (BoE, p 85; H Colvin, 1978, A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600 - 1840, London, p 738; Hereford and Worcester Record Office BA 8681/58.

Listing NGR: SO7864375331

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Colvin, H M, A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840, (1978)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Worcestershire, (1968), 85

National Grid Reference: SO 78642 75330

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Nov-2014 at 10:30:35.