List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: MANOR COTTAGE THE OLD MANOR HOUSE

List entry Number: 1100624

Location

MANOR COTTAGE, 13, STOCKS ROAD
THE OLD MANOR HOUSE, 9, STOCKS ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
HertfordshireDacorumDistrict AuthorityAldbury

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 14-May-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 29-May-1986

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 355653

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ALDBURY STOCKS ROAD SP 9612 (West side) 12/17 No.9 (The Old Manor House) 14.5.52 and No.13 (Manor Cottage) (formerly listed as No. 9 (Manor House)) GV II* House (never a manor house) now 2 houses. Circa 1500, open hall house of unusual form, for either Henry Winch or for Russell family, '1516' in spandrel of hall fireplace, 2 storeys N extension, several fireplaces, and floors inserted in hall, and in kitchen in rear wing, in mid C17 (before 1663 when Bennet Winch paid tax for 5 hearths: his initials on main stack). Large projecting S chimney early C18. By 1722 described as a house and 2 cottages. Timber frame on red brick sill with red brick infill, plastered in central bays on 1st floor front, and red brick casing to ground floor and S wall of rear wing. Steep old red tile roofs. An irregular 2-storeys L-shaped building facing E over the village pond. Deep single hall bay has jettied parlour bay to N and C17 jettied extension with lean-to and outshut to N of it. Higher gabled S crosswing has wide entrance door into former crosspassage below jettied 1st floor with entrance to hall beyond back of massive chimney stack serving the hall. Lower 2-storeys rear wing has 2-bays kitchen, formerly open to roof, and storeyed W end bay for cook above storage. 4 windows long E front with flush cast-iron lattice casements to 1st floor, one to each bay defined by the exposed timber framing. The face of the close-studded jettied 1st floor of the parlour bay is in the same plane as the front of the close-studded hall bay (lower part faced in brick) a most unusual feature proved original by the framing of the members. The higher jetty of the N extension has wide-spaced studs, as does the 1st floor of the S crosswing although its gable triangle over has close-studding. The ground floor is faced in brick with tall 2-light small-paned casement windows one to each bay, but flanked by high 3-light ovolo moulded leaded windows to the parlour, and with leaded glazing to the right of the plank door to the N extension (No. 13). Fine hollow-chamfered 4-centred wide doorway in S crosswing with sunk spandrels and old battened oak door with iron hinges. The S side of this crosswing has exposed 1st floor framing with wide-spaced studs and curved tension braces set low to allow small corner windows. Large projecting C18 chimney. C17 header-bond brickwork to ground floor to W of chimney but C18 brick with blue headers and Flemish-bond to E of chimney. 2 storeys lower W range has red brick chequered with blue headers, floor band, and segmental arches to 3 flush 2-light casement windows on each floor, leaded above but cast-iron lattices below. Interior has narrowed rear door to crosspassage, no structural division of S service bay, S stair in original position, chamfered doorway to hall, axial chamfered and stopped beam to floor inserted in hall, wide fireplace with depressed 4-centred stone arch with date on E spandrel, irregular studding in N wall, C17 oak mitred panelling to parlour with arcaded panels over fireplace, ovolo moulded N fireplace in parlour (stack formerly projected outside), stair originally on W wall replaced by stair turret in early C17. Chamber over parlour formerly plastered under collars, and hall roof little smoke- blackened. Fireplace to chamber over hall scratched with 'James Partridge 174?'. Rear wing has smoke-blackened clasped-purlin roof of 2 bays and a third W bay with floor lower than the inserted floor over the kitchen. This has a chamfered cross-beam and elaborate hollow double stop with nick. Plain small square flue to kitchen fireplace probably a replacement for one on N wall. 4-centred fireplace with sunk spandrels in chamber over S crosswing with 3-light diamond mullioned S window. RCHM suggest it is a highly unusual house which may represent an hitherto unrecognised type. (RCHM(1911)31 no. 3: RCHM Typescript).

Listing NGR: SP9645612490

Selected Sources

  1. Other  Reference - Title: Inventory of the Historical Monuments of Hertfordshire - Date: 1910 - Page References: 31

National Grid Reference: SP 96468 12492

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Jul-2014 at 08:15:20.