List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: PARISH CHURCH OF ST PAUL

List entry Number: 1100533

Location

PARISH CHURCH OF ST PAUL, AMWELL STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
HertfordshireBroxbourneDistrict Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 13-Apr-1961

Date of most recent amendment: 08-Nov-1983

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 157378

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1. 5251 HODDESDON AMWELL STREET (west side) Hoddesdon Parish Church of St Paul TL 3708NW 6a/28 13.4.61 (Formerly listed as Church of Saint Paul under Hoddesdon) II*

2. 1732 nave, 1864-5 chancel and chapels by J Clarke, 1888 steeple attributed to A Bl omfield. Red brick, stone dressings, machine tile roofs. Nave has cut brick cornice, alternating sunken panels and round-headed stone-dressed windows of 2 lights and an oculus. Gabled W end has restored belfry, segmental-headed 2- light window, and modern gabled porch incorporating C19 carved stone tympanum. 3-gabled E end with stone banding, 5 and 2-light windows with plate and bar tracery. Campanile tower on centre S side: open and blind lancets, pyramid roof with hipped dormers, octagonal stair turret on W with finial.

Nave interior has Doric wall pilasters on panelled plinths. Gallery at W end with central pediment feature carried on fluted Doric columns; rich cornice, rusticated attics at sides and centre, coat of arms on pediment. Staircase on W wall with triplets of balusters. Chancel and flanking chapels in early C13 French Gothic style: wagon roofs, 2-bay arcade of short columns with leaf-carved capitals. South aisle E window by Shrigley and Hunt; good circa 1862 aisle glass. NE glass 1880. (Pevsner (1977) ).

Listing NGR: TL3729708965

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TL 37297 08965

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2014 at 10:24:20.