List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE MANOR HOUSE AND NO 55

List entry Number: 1100390

Location

THE MANOR HOUSE AND NO 55

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
HertfordshireDacorumDistrict AuthorityLittle Gaddesden

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 14-May-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 02-Dec-1986

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 157729

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LITTLE GADDESDEN LITTLE GADDESDEN SP 91 SE (East side) 1/198 The Manor House and No 55 30.11.66 (Formerly listed as 14.5.52 No 55 Little Gaddesden)

GV II*

House, now subdivided. 1576 for Sir Robert Dormer (plaque central on W front 'AD1576/EE/NA.RD', service wing on S and alterations 1684 (RW head on front dated), timber framed SW projecting wing (No. 55) C17 or earlier, antiquarian restoration possibly 1787 (graffiti at: top of NW stair 'WF 1787'), restoration and SE wing c.1880 for Lord Brownlow. Tottenhoe stone ashlar, W front skinned in plaster 1958, E side chequered stone and flint. Red brick S wings and casing to SW wing (No. 55) which has timber framing exposed on SW. Old red tile roofs. A 3 storeys symmetrical building facing W with a 2-storeys half octagonal bay in centre flanked by 3-storey square projecting towers with crowsteps of a half gable to N and S added for symmetry and concealing lean-to roofs. Ovolo-moulded mullioned and transomed windows with iron casements and old lattice leaded glazing. The fronts of the towers have one window to each floor, 2-light with label to 3rd floor, 3-light below a moulded string to 2nd floor, 3-light below a hoodmould on RH but small high set 2-light on LH. Similar wide mullioned windows to central bay, with parapet and small 2-light casement above. Datepanel on bay carved with strapwork in egg-and-dart gadrooned sunk frame. Crow-stepped gables between corner finials top the towers and obscure view of fine N chimney. Sunk panel with label in each small gable, LH with clock hands. Entrance now into side of RH tower but Buckler dwg of 1841 (HRO) shows central doorway in ground floor of bay. RCHM Typescript suggests towers original but crow-stepped gables and possibly top storey of towers added c.1787. N wall has a massive ashlar chimney topped by 4 round shafts treated like columns with bulbous bases, square abaci with stone knots under 4 corners, supporting a deep continuous stone entablature (locally called Jarman's Coffin). Stepped buttresses on N. E wall has mullioned and transomed 3-light windows probably c.1684. The hall occupies the whole ground floor of N block with 2 chamfered crossbeams and no indication of an original partition. Splendid carved stone chimney piece central on N wall with 4-centred opening carved spandrels, strapwork rectangular surround, paired Corinthian columns sharing panelled dies, carrying a moulded entablature with inlaid running scroll in frieze. Overmantle with carved figures inset in projecting end piers under enriched cornice with royal arms and ER painted central between scenes with Elizabethan figures female on RH and male on LH said to depict the arrest of Princess Elizabeth at Ashridge after Wyatt's rebellion 1553/4. Large painted timber panel painted with scene of this arrest hangs framed on wall, said to be a door found in cellar in 1890's. Arched openings as screen at S end of room may have replaced the normal buttery and pantry arrangement c.1684. Wainscotting probably from Old Ashridge. Solar on 1st floor has simpler chimneypiece. Remains of former clasped purlin roof over 1st floor remain above S wall. Timber framed SE 1½ storeys block altered and encased in C19 with N wall chimney of 2 diagonal shafts, and parallel brick extension with small 2-light windows and moulded parapet. Large central chimneys. C19 extension to SE. (VCH(1908)11-13: RCHM(1911)143-4 no.4: Pevsner(1977)237: RCHM Typescript: senar(1983)99-100).

Listing NGR: SP9933213506

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, The Victoria History of the County of Hertford, (1908), 143-4
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977), 237
Senar, H, Little Gaddesden and Ashridge, (1983), 99-100

National Grid Reference: SP 99332 13506

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Oct-2014 at 11:37:22.