List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: HILL FARM

List entry Number: 1100384

Location

HILL FARM, LITTLE WOOD END

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
HertfordshireDacorumDistrict AuthorityFlamstead

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 19-Mar-1987

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 157811

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

FLAMSTEAD LITTLE WOOD END TL 01 SE 4/35 Hill Farm -

GV II*

Farmhouse, now a private house. 1740s in style of Vanburgh for Sir Thomas Sebright of Beechwood as an eyecatcher from his mansion to NW (design by Richard Bentley for Sir Thomas of 1751-61 for a Gothick quatrefoil plan 'House on Hill Farm' may be for unexecuted scheme for remodelling the present 'folly'). Late C18 rear block probably replaced an older building to which the 1740s block had been added incorporating its staircase wing. Early C19 renovations. Red brick in English-bond, steep hipped old red tile roofs, slate roofs to turrets behind parapets. A tall 2 1/2-storeys and cellar castellated house with a rectangular turret at each end of its W front. Plan has end-chimneys and central entrance with passage running to stair at rear. Kitchen/main room at N, parlour at S. Rear block for late C18 kitchen and dairy with servant's stair later. Symmetrical W front of 3-windows and 2-storeys with turrets carried one stage higher and door in middle. Plinth, torus plat-band, arched and coved eaves cornice. Giant sunk and plastered cross-shaped arrow loops 3 to each turret. Brick label over doorway and window above. Flush-box sash windows with 6/6 panes and segmental arches. 3-lights casement over door. 2 pointed arched Gothick casement windows in S end of S turret, suggest front windows may originally have been pointed. 4-panels flush-beaded door in heavy frame with flat hood. Coved and arcaded cornice carried round turrets and across chimneys projecting to N and S. Double dentilled courses to corbelled top with ovolo offset between. Similar corbel course with one course of dentilled headers to rear 2-storeys and attics part of main block, with segmental arches to 3-lights casement windows. Lower 2-storeys 3-windows rear wing facing E with hipped roof projecting porch off centre. Long single-storey brick and tile range of outbuildings joins N end at acute angle and links to barn at NE. Interior has a closed string staircase with heavy turned balusters and heavy square newels. Wide fireplace in N room with wooden lintel under relieving arch. Grates with fluted surrounds c.1840 in front bedrooms and plain marble fireplace in parlour.

Listing NGR: TL0548314030

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TL 05483 14030

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 29-Nov-2014 at 05:04:02.