List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST CUTHBERT

List entry Number: 1100260

Location

CHURCH OF ST CUTHBERT

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CumbriaEdenDistrict AuthorityGreat Salkeld

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 27-Dec-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 74243

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NY 53 NE GREAT SALKELD GREAT SALKELD

6/39 Church of St Cuthbert

27.12.67 II*

Parish church with fortified tower. Late C11 with c.1380 tower; c.1480 and 1674 alterations; 1866 and 1879 restorations. Large blocks of red sandstone, the walls of the tower extremely thick; both tower and chancel with chamfered plinths. Graduated sandstone slate roof with coped gable, kneelers and cross finial. 3-storey square west tower; 5-bay nave with south porch; 2-bay chancel. Tower has small chamfered loops on each face at various levels, the upper west one with cusped head. Clock face on south wall and projecting angle stair turret, all under battlemented parapet with angle spouts. Nave has 1750 porch covering original heavily-carved Cll doorway of 3 orders of zigzag arches, some with carved heads. Roman altar from Old Penrith and fragments of medieval graveslabs in porch. South C19 windows. Blocked north doorway and C19 windows, but an upper C15 window. Walls of nave raised in C15. Chancel has round-headed priest's doorway, rood-light C15 window and other 2-light windows. 3-light east window looks C17. Interior of tower has vaulted basement. 2 window splays have lintels made of 3 medieval graveslabs. Iron-bound 'yett' gate complete with drawbars. Upper-floor fireplace has reused medieval graveslab to an Inglewood forester c.1290. Nave has late medieval timber roof. One window has its internal medieval splay. C19 and C20 Stained glass, one a memorial to Bishop Nicholson, who was vicar here. White marble wall plaques, one to Bishop Bowstead of Lichfield, born in Great Salkeld in 1801. Wall-mounted C17 armour. Earlier roofline can be seen in west wall. Chancel has effigy moved from nave to Thomas de Caldbec, Rector 1319. Medieval graveslab built into floor and another slate slab of 1490 to Stephen Close, Rector (brass inscription now illegible).

Listing NGR: NY5516536764

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: NY 55165 36764

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Sep-2014 at 06:54:40.