List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE CHURCH OF THE HOLY FAMILY

List entry Number: 1099983

Location

THE CHURCH OF THE HOLY FAMILY, HIGH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
WorcestershireWyre ForestDistrict AuthorityBewdley

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 22-Apr-1950

Date of most recent amendment: 27-May-1986

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 156694

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

In the entry for BEWDLEY CP HIGH STREET (south side)

13/52 The Church of the Holy Family (formerly listed as Old Presbyterian Chapel)

The grade shall be amended to read: II* (star)

------------------------------------

SO 7875 SE BEWDLEY CP HIGH STREET (south side)

13/52 The Church of the Holy Family (formerly listed as Old Presbyterian Chapel) 22.4.50

GV II*

Presbyterian chapel, now Roman Catholic Church. c1778 with early C19 addition and some mid-C20 alterations. Brick, stone slate roof. Rectangular plan with apse at each end, aligned north-east/south-west, with an early C19 addition to the north, and an external staircase to the south-east. Side walls: one storey, moulded stone cornice, two windows: semi-circular headed with stone architraves which have impost blocks and keystones, multi-paned casements; similar window to south-west and north-east end: centrally placed entrance with stone architrave and C20 door of six raised and fielded panels; staircase to left formerly open with roof supported on slender wooden Doric columns, now enclosed by a mid-C20 wall with semi-circular headed openings. Interior: curved gallery at north-east end supported on two Doric columns. Original fittings have been removed. Scheduled as an Ancient Monument. (VCH 4, p 300; BoE p 86).

Listing NGR: SO7861175180

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Worcester, (1924), 300
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Worcestershire, (1968), 86

National Grid Reference: SO 78611 75180

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Nov-2014 at 02:44:33.