List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST ANNE

List entry Number: 1099966

Location

CHURCH OF ST ANNE, LOAD STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
WorcestershireWyre ForestDistrict AuthorityBewdley

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 22-Apr-1950

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 156753

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SO 7875 SE BEWDLEY CP LOAD STREET

13/109 Church of St Anne

22.4.50

GV II*

Chapel, now parish church. 1695 - 6, tower, with rest of church 1745 - 8, some late C19 and late C20 repairs, by Thomas Woodward of Worcester and Richard Woodward of Chipping Campden. Ashlar with hipped machine tile roof. West tower, nave with aisles under one roof, chancel. West tower: four stages, balustraded parapet with an urn at each corner, bands to second and third stages, quoined; projecting square plan stair turret at south-west corner, third stage (belfry) has a louvred window with 4-centred head to each side, with clock face below; second stage and first stage has semi-circular headed windows with moulded architraves, entrance on south side; south aisle: five bays defined by flat pilasters, balustraded parapet, moulded cornice and moulded plinth, windows have semi-circular heads and moulded architraves with keystone and impost blocks, window in west bay has a high sill with entrance below, restored C20 stone architrave, C18 2-leaf door with raised and fielded panels; north aisle: similar to south aisle; chancel: one bay with window similar to aisles but of smaller size, balustraded parapet with moulded cornice above, east window: Venetian window. Interior: nave: five-bay arcade formed by Doric columns, segmental plaster ceiling, flat ceiling to aisles with moulded cornice, gallery to west end has raised and fielded panels to front. Chancel arch segmental with keystone, east window has fluted Ionic pilasters and decorative key- stone, C19 decorative plaster ceiling. Fittings: cut-down C18 pews, panelled C18 oak pulpit with simple inlay. Stone tablet re-set in north-east corner of north aisle inscribed: "Ric: Woodward/ Campden in Glos/ 1745". The parish of Bewdley was separated from Ribbesford in 1853. (VCH 4, p 314; BoE, pp 84 - 85; H Colvin, 1978, A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600 - 1840, London, p 915).

Listing NGR: SO7857875310

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Colvin, H M, A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840, (1978), 915
Doubleday, AH, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Worcester, (1924), 314
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Worcestershire, (1968), 84-85

National Grid Reference: SO 78578 75310

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Oct-2014 at 03:58:38.