List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST WILFRID

List entry Number: 1096559

Location

CHURCH OF ST WILFRID, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
DerbyshireSouth DerbyshireDistrict AuthorityBarrow upon Trent

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 10-Nov-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 82691

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

PARISH OF BARROW-UPON-TRENT CHURCH LANE SK 32 NE 4/5 (North Side) 10.11.67 Church of St Wilfrid GV I

Parish church. Mid C13, C14, C15 and early C19. Coursed squared sandstone with sandstone dressings. Lead and plain tile roofs, with coped gables. West tower, aisled nave, south porch and chancel. West tower of two stages divided by a stringcourse. Diagonal buttresses to west and angle buttresses to north and south, with five set-offs. Tall lower stage with chamfered plinth. The west elevation has a doorway with chamfered surround and plank door. 5-light window of c1300 above, with intersecting tracery and a cusped lozenge at the top. Hoodmould. The lower stage is blind to the other elevations. The upper stage has C14 2-light bell openings in each direction, with reticulated tracery. C15 battlements and four stumpy pinnacles. Gabled north aisle has a 13-light west window with intersecting tracery. Angle buttresses and one intermediate buttress. North doorway with moulded surround, hoodmould and plank door. To the left are two 3-light windows with intersecting tracery. 3-light east window with reticulated tracery. The north side of the chancel has a single chamfered priests doorway with hoodmould and plank door with decorative iron hinges. Curious low pointed window to right. C20 brick buttress in the angle with the aisle. The east elevation of the chancel has a shallow gable, thin buttresses and a broad four-centred arched window with chamfered surround, probably C18. The south side of the chancel has a low single chamfered round-arched priests doorway with hoodmould. To the left is a 3-light flat-arched window with cusped ogee lights. Shallow gabled south aisle has a 3-light east window with reticulated tracery. Diagonal buttresses and one intermediate buttress. The south side has two early C19 lancets with chamfered surrounds. Similar west window. Gabled south porch with broad pointed doorway. C20 plank doors. Diagonal buttresses with two set-offs. Round-arched niche above with moulded surround. To the west and east are a pair of small chamfered lancets. Clerestory of three 2-light windows with flat arches and the remains of the traceried arched lights of the C15 clerestory. Interior: Three bay arcades, that to the north mid C13 with compound piers with shafts and shaft rings and moulded capitals. Much restored in the C19. The south arcade is C14 and has octagonal piers and abaci. Both have double chamfered arches. Unmoulded tower arch with an inner chamfered order on corbels. Double chamfered chancel arch, the inner order dying into the imposts. In the south aisle is a round-arched tomb recess with a C14 alabaster effigy of a priest. Moulded hoodmould. to the left, a trefoil-headed recessed panel with moulded surround and traces of painting. Squints from the aisles into the chancel that to the north forms a passageway from the aisle to the chancel and is lit by its own window. Plain octagonal font. Monuments: Tablet to Elizabeth Milward +1610 (north aisle). Plain tablet to John Bancroft +1803 (north aisle) by W Barton of Derby. Elizabeth Mozeley +1883 (nave) by R C Lomas of Derby. Richard Sale +1808 (nave) by Hall of Derby. Much damaged tomb chest with incised slab. C19 alabaster pulpit. Open backed C19 pews. Painted lozenge hatchment.

Listing NGR: SK3529428388

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SK 35293 28385

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Dec-2014 at 01:30:02.