List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE FRISBY JARVIS BUILDING

List entry Number: 1096104

Location

THE FRISBY JARVIS BUILDING, 33-45, FROG ISLAND

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
City of LeicesterUnitary Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 15-Apr-2003

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 490070

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details



718/0/10189 FROG ISLAND 15-APR-03 (East side) 33-45 The Frisby Jarvis Building

II



Former worsted spinning mill. 1867, with office block extension of 1881. Both parts for William Thompson and Sons by the Leicester architects Shenton and Baker. Red brick with moulded and cut brick dressings, also blue brick, coloured tile and stone dressings. Slate hipped roofs and side stacks. Italianate palazzo style with prominent and elaborately bracketed cornice. 4 storeys. 21-window range at 1st, 2nd and 3rd floors of metal framed windows: those to 1st floor are casements and have round-arched heads, those above have segmental arches; all have gauged brick heads with key blocks. Similar windows to ground floor have elaborate cast-iron grilles to lower part. A 3-window section to centre right breaks forward and has rusticated corner pilasters and tripartite central window on each floor. Altered opening to ground floor with original doorway with decorative lintel to left. This section is crowned by a pediment, which has a clock-face within it. To left of the main block is a 2-storey extension in similar style of 1881, with sash windows and a doorway with double-leafed doors. Lower spinning sheds to rear. This carefully detailed and monumental factory building was built for worsted spinning for the Leicester hosiery industry. It is a landmark in this part of Leicester and its side overlooks the River Soar. Pevnser, N., Buildings of England, Leicestershire and Rutland, 1984, p.240.

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SK 58076 05332

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2014 at 07:01:36.