List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHISWICK RAILWAY STATION

List entry Number: 1096022

Location

CHISWICK RAILWAY STATION, BURLINGTON LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Greater London AuthorityHounslowLondon Borough

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 29-Nov-2002

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 489912

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details



787/0/10067 BURLINGTON LANE 29-NOV-02 Chiswick (South side) Chiswick Railway Station

II



Railway station. 1849. Designed by William Tite for the Windsor, Staines and South Western Railway. London stock brick, with rendered quoins and dressings. Welsh slate roof. Two storey main block on the upside with small single storey wings. Three windows with central 2-leaf door, with overlight, set in a brought forward Roman Doric entablature. Ground floor windows are 4 over 4 panes with stepped voussoir heads. Plat band at first floor level. First floor windows are 3 over 6 pane sashes. Low pitched hipped slate roof with brick end chimney stacks. The elevation to the platform is the same except that the ground floor has a flat canopy supported on seven timber posts which projects beyond the building at either end. The posts support cast-iron brackets and a fretted valance. INTERIOR not inspected. HISTORY. The station was opened by the Windsor, Staines and South Western Railway as an extension of the Richmond Railway, and was soon taken over by the London and South Western Railway in 1850 having leased it from 1848. It was probably opened as a single track line but would soon have been doubled. This is an example of the Tite classical villa design first used at Micheldever and Winchester on the London and Southampton Railway in 1838 and afterwards on the Basingstoke and Salisbury Railway in 1854 as at Whitchurch and Andover. REFERENCES. C Awdry, Encyclopaedia of British Railway Companies, Patrick Stephens Limited, 1990, p. 202. Leslie James, A Chronology of Britain's Railways 1778-1855, Ian Allen, 1983, p. 55.

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Awdry, C - Title: Encyclopaedia of British Railway Companies - Date: 1990 - Page References: 202
  2. Book  Reference - Author: James, L - Title: A Chronology of the Construction of Britains Railways 1778-1855 - Date: 1983 - Page References: 55

National Grid Reference: TQ 20374 77220

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Oct-2014 at 05:01:24.