List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: MAIN HANGAR (CALSHOT FORMER RNAS STATION IMMEDIATELY SOUTH OF CASTLE)

List entry Number: 1095046

Location

MAIN HANGAR (CALSHOT FORMER RNAS STATION IMMEDIATELY SOUTH OF CASTLE)

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
HampshireNew ForestDistrict AuthorityFawley

National Park: NEW FOREST

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 08-Apr-1988

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 143503

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SU 40SE 13/22

FAWLEY CALSHOT Main Hangar (Calshot former RNAS Station immediately south of Castle) GV II

The grade shall be amended to II* The entry shall be amended to read:-

SU 40 SE 1860-/13/22 08/04/88

FAWLEY CALSHOT Main Hangar (Calshot former RNAS Station immediately south of Castle)

GV II*

Former flying boat hangar. 1918. Steel-framed with corrugated asbestos or metal cladding and roof. Rectangular plan, covering an area of approx 5,704 square metres. Contemporary steel buttresses. West elevation has continuous glazing below eaves, and 3 sets of sliding double doors. East elevation has continuous glazing and single-storey outshut, also glazed. North and South elevations each have 8 lights. Steel lattice girders to interior. Historical note: The largest hangar built in Britain for use by fixed-wing aircraft during World War 1, comprising 3 of the "F" type hangars which were introduced in 1917. Forms part of the most outstanding group of early aircraft structures of this type in the British isles, ranging in size from the 1914 Belfast truss Canoe Hangar (qv) of 720 square metres in area, to the type "G" hangar (qv) of 1917 (972 square metres) and this example. Consequently, they manifest as a group the great advances made in aircraft technology in the 1914-18 period. The base is also associated with the development of RJ Mitchell's Merlin engine (used in the Spitfire), having been used for RAF speed trials in the inter-war period and to accommodate British and Italian teams for the Schneider Trophy contest in 1929 and the Supermarine and Gloster racers in 1931.

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SU 48877 02333

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2014 at 02:02:30.