List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

List entry Number: 1094740

Location

CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
HampshireNew ForestDistrict AuthorityBrockenhurst

National Park: NEW FOREST

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 13-May-1987

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 144326

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SU 30 SW BROCKENHURST CHURCH LANE

10/16 Church of St Nicholas

GV II *

Parish church. C12 church, chancel and porch late C13, tower 1761, aisle 1832, restored 1896 & 1908. Rubble stone with stone dressings, old plain tile roofs, stone tile lower courses to chancel, brick tower and aisle, shingled spire. Plan of C12 nave with late C13 chancel and south porch, west tower and north aisle with vestry at each end. Chancel has 4-light Y-tracery east window and kneelered gable. On sides two 2-light similar and pointed south door. Nave has to south C16 2-light trefoiled squareheaded window under label with crest and headstops. Gabled porch with 2-order pointed archway. Inside C12 south door of 2-roundheaded-orders, inner square with abaci, outer of columns, scalloped capitals and arch with chevrons. Above and west is tall C18 timber cross window under hipped roof, and to west one above other C19 2-light windows. North aisle has to west small pent roofed vestry, south has 3 timber Y-tracery windows. At west is 1908 vestry. Tower has rusticated corner pilasters. To west roundheaded door over semicircular window and roundheaded louvred bellopenings. Moulded cornice and spire rising from domed base. Inside chancel C19 gothic monuments, that to south surrounds door. At south west C14 septfoiled recess. C17 pointed plastered roof having ribs with pendants. Chancel arch probably C17 roundheaded rebuild, but on nave side above timber tiebeam is plaster with trellis wallpainting. In Nave to north roof carried on beam on 2 cast-iron columns, to west early C19 gallery on similar. Late C12 Purbeck font of square bowl with roundheaded arcading, on replaced central column and corner columns. C17 font cover. Pulpit C19 in Jacobean style. C18 Royal Arms Board. Early C18 altar rails with turned balusters and moulded handrails.

Listing NGR: SU2788102630

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SU 30525 01766

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Nov-2014 at 08:21:48.