List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1093882

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
HampshireTest ValleyDistrict AuthorityMonxton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 30-Apr-1985

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 140538

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

3144 MONXTON MONXTON

9/8 Church of St Mary II*

Parish church. Of Norman origin, rebuilt 1854 by Woodyer. Flint and tile. Aisleless nave and chancel, with vestry north of the chancel, and a south porch. Plain roof, cast-iron rainwater- leads dated 1852. At the west end is a belfry, with a small broach spire and bell-stage clad in shingles, supported on the west wall and 2 massive stepped buttresses. Flint walls with stone dressings: buttresses at the east end of the nave, cill band round the chancel: windows are coupled lights with plate tracery, some cusped lancets, and a traceried 3-light east window. The porch is timber-framed on a low base wall, with cusped openings above panels, and ornamental gabled framework. The interior is entirely Victorian, except for the responds (c 1200) supporting the chancel arch. On the north side of the nave, at its east end, are 2 small wall-brasses, of 1599 and 1662.

Listing NGR: SU3119844509

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SU 31287 44572

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Nov-2014 at 08:39:25.