List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

List entry Number: 1093875

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, HIGH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
HampshireTest ValleyDistrict AuthorityBroughton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 29-May-1957

Date of most recent amendment: 07-Feb-1986

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 140619

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BROUGHTON HIGH STREET (east side) SU 3032 11/20 Church of St Mary the 29/5/57 Virgin (Formerly listed as Church of St. Mary) GV II*

Parish church. C12 origins, c1200 N aisle, early C13 S aisle and nave lengthened. C15 tower and nave clerestory, C17 rebuilt to nave and chancel, 1853 and 1901 restoration. Rubble flint, brick repairs, stone and brick dressings, old plain tile roof. Plan of C12 church, chancel rebuilt C17, C19 N vestry, nave with C13 W bay, C15 clerestory, c1300 S aisle with porch rebuilt 1921. C13 N aisle with C19 porch, and C15 W tower, remodelled C19. E end of chancel rebuilt C19 has stepped 3-light trefoiled window recessed under pointed arch. Roof overhangs supported on timber corbels. S side has 2 C17 2-light squareheaded windows, W one taller and low set. To N is C19 gabled vestry with to W of it C19 2-light window. Tile hung exposed E gable of nave. Clerestory has on N to E 2 C15 squareheaded 2-light trefoiled window, and to W C19 copy and C17 squareheaded 2-light roundheaded window. On S 3 C19 2-light trefoiled window and similar C17 window at W. S aisle has at E end C19 2-light trefoiled window, C17 SE buttress. On S to E and W similar window and buttress. To W of centre C16 gabled porch with C20 S face of diagonal buttresses and perpendicular doorway with C18 door. In W end small C13 2-light trefoiled window with quatrefoil in head. N aisle has C13 2-light trefoiled window in E end, NE buttresses and central N C19 gabled brick porch. Each side C17 buttress and square headed 2-light trefoiled window. NW buttress and small C13 squareheaded 2-light trefoiled W window. W bay of nave has each side C13 slightly pointed lancet and clasps sides of tower. Tower has to W stepped diagonal buttresses to end stage C19 rendered brick battlemented top stage. To S low set roundheaded door. To W reset C13 W door of 3 moulded orders, outer with dog-tooth between beaded rolls, inner chamfered,outer 2 on shafts with moulded capitals. On each side reset C15 niches, above single trefoiled light. Inside chancel early C19 vaults under sanctuary. Timber lintels to S windows. C19 scissor truss roof. Monuments: to S 1647 Christopher Hearst, inscribed slate in stone frame with Dutch gable and 3 ball finials; to N 1830 to Rev. Marmaduke Searly, beside brass 1625 to Thomas Dowse and wife. Under SE window C15 pillar piscina of octagonal bowl and roses on sides, below octagonal shaft and capital with carved grotesques. On NW sill stone bowl. C19 corbelled pointed chancel arch. Nave has to N c1200 3 bay pointed arcade on round piers with multi-calloped capitals. Similar S arcade with plain capitals. Clerestory has timber lintels. Roof C19 crown post keeping earlier tie beams and crownposts, rest plastered. W bay has widely splayed rear arches and houses tall organ. At E floor slabs; 1719 to Henry Grey; 1754 to Rev. Nathaniel Ware; 1768 to Mary Hendow; 1779 to John and Mary Hattatt. In NW tablet 1799 to Jane Hattat. S aisle has chamfered rear arch to door and W window. Tablets: 1763 to John Merch; 1825 to Elizabeth Hattatt. Above door early C19 benefactors board. Chamfered pointed rear arches to N aisle windows. C15 aisle purlin roofs. Pews C19 rebuilt from C17 pews with various Cl7 dates. VCH: Vol.4: 1911; p496-7.

Listing NGR: SU3081033021

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, The Victoria History of the County of Hampshire and the Isle of Wight, (1911), 496-7

National Grid Reference: SU 30894 32914

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2014 at 09:02:52.