List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST WINFRED

List entry Number: 1093769

Location

CHURCH OF ST WINFRED

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
HampshireTest ValleyDistrict AuthorityEast Dean

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 29-May-1957

Date of most recent amendment: 11-Apr-1986

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 140870

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

EAST DEAN EAST DEAN SU 22 NE 3/63 Church of St Winfred (formerly listed as 29.5.57 Church of St Mary)

II*

Parish Church. C12/13 nave and chancel, much repaired C18. Rendered rubble stone and flint, stone dressings of dark and light limestone, old plain tile roof, Small chancel, and nave with S porch and W bellcote. E end of chancel has C13 pointed and rebated lancet. N side has reset C12 roundheaded lancet, and S side has C18 timber 2-light leaded casement. E nave gable rebuilt in flint above stone offset. S side has at E 3-light, in centre 2-light and W of centre single light C18 timber, leaded casement with each side full height brick panel bounded by header pilasters. In centre C18 gabled brick porch with 4-Panel door and to W of centre similar brick panel with brick buttress near W. In W end C18 timber 3-light leaded casement and in gable rebuilt in brick round window with radiating leaded lights. On roof small square section bellcote, prob C17 with 3 trefoiled bell openings on each side and hipped roof. Inside chancel splayed rear arch to E window, C20 splayed rear arch to N window. Plastered arched brace roof, C18, with tall ashlar pieces, moulded wallplates and at each end cambered tiebeams. C19 chamfered segmental head chancel arch. Nave has timber lintels to windows. To S of chancel arch top of blocked C13 pointed arch, high set, possible reredos over altar, and on S wall traces of wallpainting below remains, badly hacked, of piscina and bowl. N doorway of heavy timber carved into arch and C17 planked with strap hinges. Queenpost roof, C18, plastered except for tiebeam and posts. At W small gallery of C17 and C18 on posts against walls and 2 central posts, on these Cl7 lamp-holders containing cannon balls. Above panelling and to rear of gallery on W wall C17 panelling. Bellcote over contains bell said to be medieval. Monuments on S in centre 1831 to Henry Newman; on N to W 1804 to William Newman, 1808 to Ally Radcliffe, 1834 to Elizabeth Newman. By door C18 front of small octagonal bowl with traceried sides on octagonal stem.

Listing NGR: SU2704526716

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SU 27341 26746

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Oct-2014 at 05:07:12.