List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: MOTTISFONT ABBEY HOUSE

List entry Number: 1093730

Location

MOTTISFONT ABBEY HOUSE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
HampshireTest ValleyDistrict AuthorityMottisfont

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 29-May-1957

Date of most recent amendment: 11-Apr-1986

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 140982

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

MOTTISFONT MOTTISFONT ABBEY SU 3226 12/5 Mottisfont Abbey House (Formerly listed as 29.5.57 Mottisfont Abbey and entrance gateway)

GV I

Large country house. Augustinian priory founded 1201, at dissolution went to Lord Sandys who converted nave and domestic buildings to house 1538-40, S range c1740 and nearly all windows and doors altered with monastic domestic buildings demolished, C19 and C20 interior remodelling. Ashlar stone, brick with stone dressings, old plain tile roof. Plan of N range being C13 nave and crossing encasing and made 2½ storey with principle 1st floor. S range brick, C16, mainly C18 of pedimented centre, flanked by C16 rebuilt mid C19 canted links with C18/19 staircase towers each side. At each end of range projecting stone wings incorporating S transept and chapter house, and cellarium range, all 3 storey with principle 1st floor. S front 3 storey, U-shaped group has central 3 bays of brick with stone quoins, strings between floors and parapet copings. In basement 6-panel door and large square fanlight of circular and segmental glazing pattern. Each side and on 1st floor 12-pane sashes, on 2nd floor 9-pane sashes. Above pediment, lunette in tympanum. Centre part flanked by double projections of 1 bay each. Inner C19 replacing C16 of low 3 storeys with splayed angle and small leaded stone casements. Behind parapet roof hipped against outer. Outer projects further and has full height corner pilaster and similar strings and parapet 12-pane sash on each floor. All sashes in flush rusticated stone surrounds. Sipped roof behind parapet. Each end C18 stone encased tall, wide wings, with to L terrace in front over monastic cellarium, and to R early C20 steps in front over passage to chapter house. To 1st and 2nd floor on ends canted bay with glazed door in stone rusticated surround and Tuscan door-case 12-pane sash each side on angles, and 9-pane sashes on 2nd floor. 2nd floor string and tall parapet. C16 stone stacks on outside wall of wings, brick stack on inner wall, and 3 stacks behind centre roof. Set low on side of R wing is jamb of window to chapter house with mosaic by Boris Anrep. N front encasing of N nave wall and buttresses and transept arch. 6 bays, 2 storey and attic. C16 mullioned windows, C18 1st floor sashes, and pediment dormers. Transept arch has trumpet scallops and Venetian window under, and 2nd floor over with corner C16 stacks. Parapet with ball finials. On E front arch with fanciful trumpet scallops (originally to S chapel). Inside in basement at W C13 blank arcading on S nave wall. To S cellarium, short central circular piers and chamfered ribs. In centre C16 panelled room. At E between crossing and nave pulpitum made early 016, 4-centred arch with panelling. To S parts of S transept the archway into chapter of 3 vaulted bays with wallshafts. On principle 1st floor in N range in nave main rooms all C19 and C20 with brought in fireplaces and exposed parts of S windows of nave and chancel arch. S range has passage, C19 staircases in projecting bays and in W wing 1938-9 Rex Whistler drawing room. In other wing C19 morning room. House given to National Trust in 1957.

Selected Sources

Other
Part 19 Hampshire,

National Grid Reference: SU 32704 26965

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Oct-2014 at 04:44:24.