List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

List entry Number: 1093717

Location

CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
HampshireTest ValleyDistrict AuthorityMichelmersh and Timsbury

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 29-May-1957

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 140950

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HICWQTRSB TIMSBUBY SU 32 SW 7/2 Church of St Andrew 29.5.57

II*

Church. C13 church, chancel rebuilt C15, C16 porch and bellcote, restored C18 & 1847. Rubble flint and stone, rendered, stone dressings, weatherboarded porch and bellcote, old plain tile roof. Plan of C15 chancel to C13 nave with central 5 porch and W bellcote, W bay of nave is vestry. Chancel has stone plinth with offset. E end has C15 3-light cinquefoiled window with label, and C19 kneelered gable. To sides at W squareheaded single light similar window. On S wall 2 C18 oval memorials. Nave has to each side, at E rendered brick arch window of C18 form but with earlier jambs, and to W of centre C13 large pointed lancet. On S side, has central C16 gabled timber porch on brick plinth; end has large posts and tie with arch head cut out of tie. C19 bargeboards and sides. Inside C13 chamfered round-headed door. On E side C18 tablet, on W C17 headstone. Above to W 2-light gabled dormer. At W C13 ogee chamfered pointed door and C18 brick S buttress. Over square plan bellcote with continuous louvre on sides. Roof hipped. Inside chancel E window within continuous chamfered rear arch. Each side C15 moulded image bracket. In SE squareheaded cinquefoiled niche with pillar piscina below. Side windows have similar rear arches. C19 furnishing and tiles. Plastered ceiling with only chamfered tiebeam visible. C19 chancel arch of 2 moulded orders springing off huge plain corbels. Screen C16 of central archway with carved spandrels and each side in top half trefoiled, arcading. Nave has to SE window splayed rear arch, with below window remains of rear arch of lancet. NE window has splay to E and in splay below inset medieval tiles. Wide splays to central N window and flat lintel to door. By door C18 octagonal font on pillar and base. Above door to E remains of wall painting. King post roof. W bay blocked off by panelling below tiebeam, plaster above, Royal Arms Board GR 1788. In NE C17 timber pulpit with arcaded panels carved corbels for book rest and door. In SW corner cupboard dated 1713. At E floor slab William Hunt 1756, at W Richard Harris 1679. On S side C16 pews with round finials on ends. On N C19 restored plainer pews.

Listing NGR: SU3476025439

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SU 34575 24556

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Oct-2014 at 11:20:49.