List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST BONIFACE

List entry Number: 1093670

Location

CHURCH OF ST BONIFACE, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
HampshireTest ValleyDistrict AuthorityNursling and Rownhams

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 29-May-1957

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 141137

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NURSLING AND ROWNHAMS CHURCH LANE SU 31 NE 7/13 Church of St Boniface 29.5.57

GV II*

Parish church. Of Saxon origin, mainly C14, with a C13 transept, restored by G E Street 1881. Aisless nave and chancel, south transept, south porch beneath tower. Rubble stone walls, coupled C14 windows with Decorated tracery, west window of three lights with Reticulated tracery and three light cusped C15 window to the transept. Tile roof; the tower above eaves level is hung with shingles, and has a shingled broach spire. Interior: the eastern part of the chancel is Victorian: the remainder of the interior is plain but there are many wall monuments of the early C19. Elizabethan pulpit, mid C19 Perpendicular octagonal font. The transept has a western arch, half blocked by the east end of the nave wall, and contains interesting monuments; an elaborate Jacobean/classical tomb with male and female recumbent figures, of Richard (1613) and Maria (1622) Mille. Opposite is a classical monument to Thomas Knollys 1751; there is a stone slab with inset brasses to Thomas Mundy 1623, and some medieval tiles let into the wall. On the west wall of the nave is a hatchment, and a Royal Coat of Arms of 1782 (G.R.).

Listing NGR: SU3589016436

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SU 35933 16473

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Oct-2014 at 01:00:47.