List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

List entry Number: 1093440

Location

CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
HampshireTest ValleyDistrict AuthorityBullington

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 20-Dec-1960

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 139571

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

5240

SU 44 SE BULLINGTON LOWER BULLINGTON 20-12-60 5/7 Church of St. Michael

II*

Parish church. Late C12, early C13, early C19, and restoration of 1871. Single cell, of Norman nave and a chancel of circa 1220, with a western tower of the third period; a north vestry, south porch, and some restoration details are of 1871. Flint walls with stone-dressings; 2 small Norman windows at the west end of the nave, a lancet on the southside of the chancel and a Norman doorway (blocked) on the north side; the restoration work includes triple lancets at the east end, 2 small 'Perpendicular' windows at the south side of the nave, a priest's door, and windows and door of the vestry. The tower is of red brickwork with flint panels, corner flat buttresses, the top of the brickwork finishing as a dentil eaves to the pyramid roof; small 'Geometrical' belfry windows, and a larger west window. Single tiled roof, extending over the outshots (vestry and heating chamber) on the north side. The south porch has a tile and gabled roof above an open timber framework, resting on a base wall. Inside, the details are all of the last period, but there are 4 wall monuments of the period 1800 to 1830, and a floorslab of 1727: the tower arch is a plan semi-circle above impost bands.

Listing NGR: SP3767439287

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SU 45485 41228

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2014 at 08:12:37.