List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1093280

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY, FURZEDOWN LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
HampshireTest ValleyDistrict AuthorityAmport

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 21-Dec-1960

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 140013

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SU 2944 AMPORT FURZEDOWN LANE

8/9 Church of St. Mary

II* 21.12.60 Parish church. c1320, restoration of 1866 by Slater & Carpenter. Aisleless cruciform church with a central tower; the north transept and nave were virtually rebuilt in 1866 when the north vestry (appearing as a smaller north transept from the chancel), organ aisle and north porch were built new, and the nave extended by one bay to accommodate the font. The building is rendered, with flint walls for the work of 1866, with stone dressings, the roof being tiled. The windows are (except for the vestry) coupled lights with cusped heads supporting flamboyant roundels or ogee shaped trefoils (reproduced in the nave), with a 3 light east window and a high circular window in the west gable. The tower has a stone parapet, with a coved base decorated with heads, and small coupled lights to the bell stage; there are diagonal buttresses to the east wall. Within, the pointed and chamfered arches of the crossing are prominent, the nave and transepts of plain (restoration) appearance; the chancel is enriched by the traceried windows, a piscina, stepped sedilia of 3 ogee arches, and a floorcovered by tomb slabs (including a finely- lettered group of 5 in the sanctuary, of late C17 early C18). There are several wall monuments in the chancel with small slate slabs of 1653 and 1636, and larger classical monuments of 1723, 1753 and 1779, and in the north transept a classical monument of 1807. The font is an elaborate 'Perpendicular' design of 1865 with a wood cover. A particular treasure (in a glazed frame) is a C14 alabaster carving (found at nearby East Cholderton) of a St. John's Head, with an ornamental canopy and head flanked by the small figures of St. Margaret, St. Katherine, St. Peter, S. William of York, with a Resurrection at the base.

Listing NGR: SU2969644083

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SU 29945 44202

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Nov-2014 at 10:29:53.