List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: REMAINS OF THE CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1092852

Location

REMAINS OF THE CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
HampshireBasingstoke and DeaneDistrict AuthorityPreston Candover

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 26-Apr-1957

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 138992

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SU 64 SW PRESTON CANDOVER & NUTLEY CHURCH LANE 19/27 26.4.57 Remains of the Church of St Mary

II*

C12, circa 1700, late C19. The medieval church was burned in a fire of 1681 and the repaired building appears to have been a long single cell, with transepts added at the restoration, with a large western bell-turret (weather-boarded with a pyramid roof). This structure became so dilapidated that it was demolished, except for the old chancel, in 1883, and replaced by a new building on another site. What remains is an almost square structure, with a plain tiled roof, flint walling with stone dressings and brick quoins and buttresses of the later period; the west wall (late C19) is of rubble with a round arched doorway. There is a small lancet on the north side and at the south a 2-light trefoil-headed Perpendicular window and a blocked-up round-arched priests door, the east window being round-headed of the restoration date. Within, there are many interesting details; a small piscina, late C17 altar rails, seating with panelled backs, and some medieval tiles. The floor is covered with lettered slabs (eg 1702, 1733, 1799 but several unde cipherable), and brasses (a female figure of Katherine Dabridgecourt with shield, also 3 panels dated 1607, 1610 and 1726). There are 2 fine marble wall monuments of 1729 and 1771 on the south wall, and on the north wall one of 1798 and another of 1781. The west wall contains a framed and painted recording of the provision of 48 additional sittings in 1831 in an enlarged part of the church (a transept?), and also 2 'Commandment' panels of the mid C19 with cusped pointed arches to each frame. There is wall-painting (mainly on the east wall), some of which may be medieval, including crosses within roundels. Starred for the variety and interest of the (rather battered) contents.

Listing NGR: SU6030341556

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SU 60365 41402

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Jul-2014 at 02:34:58.