List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: GAUMONT CINEMA

List entry Number: 1092039

Location

GAUMONT CINEMA, COMMERCIAL ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
City of SouthamptonUnitary Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 08-Oct-1981

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 135797

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1. COMMERCIAL ROAD 5239 Gaumont Cinema SU 4112 1/286

II

2. W. and T. R. Milburn, Architects. December 22nd, 1928. Formerly the Empire Variety Theatre and became a cinema after 1933. Large building (capacity 2,250) in 20s Reo-Grecian style. The front elevation is of 5 storeys, stone with red brick infill. Each side has a half-octagonal stone turret. Deep modillion cornice. Six stone pilasters through. Second to fourth floors with lion's head masks at base. Five stone balconies. Five windows in all with metal casements. First floor windows have deep architraves with interlocking circles and glyphs. The ground floor has Vitruvian scroll frieze and 4 square piers with the same interlocking circles and glyph design. Double mahogany doors with brass fittings. Four storeys portion on R.H.S. of red brick with pantiled roof. Three sashes with glazing bars intact. Panels between second and third floors and iron balconette. Cambered arch to ground floor. The foyer is decorated with plaques with antique masks, swags and anthemion motifs and the lower part of the wall is covered with marble. On each side are staircases rising 4 floors with stair wells. Brass handrails with intersecting oval balustrades and newel posts with urn finals. The auditorium has a tall curved proscenium arch with 'torcheres' decoration. This is flanked by panels with anthemion motif. The seating is on 3 tiers supported on columns (Ionic to stalls and Circle). Oval dome with original octagonal glass and metal lanterns with anthemion decorations. The railings to the Circle and Upper Circle have fasces decoration. Ti<o cuuved boxes to each side with vitruvian scroll decoration and pillars with anthemion motif. Round-headed pediments above with fishscale decorations and plumed edge. Three round-headed arches leaf to the Upper Circle boxes which have Vitruvian scroll decoration. This theatre has 22 mahogany and glazed 'Standing boxes' which are a rare survival. The walls are clad with marble to dado level. Included as a complete example of a theatre in 20s lieo-Grecian style.

Listing NGR: SU4255313582

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SU 41563 12291

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Oct-2014 at 01:39:54.