List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: SOUTHAMPTON CIVIC CENTRE

List entry Number: 1092036

Location

SOUTHAMPTON CIVIC CENTRE, CIVIC CENTRE ROAD
SOUTHAMPTON CIVIC CENTRE, WEST MARLANDS ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
City of SouthamptonUnitary Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 10-Oct-1980

Date of most recent amendment: 08-Oct-1997

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 135794

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SU 4112 CIVIC CENTRE ROAD (North, Off) 983/1/262 Southampton Civic Centre (Formerly Listed as: CIVIC CENTRE ROAD Civic Centre) 10.10.1980 II*

Includes: Southampton Civic Centre, WEST MARLANDS ROAD Constructed between 1928 and 1939. Architect E Berry Webber following competition. PLAN: a quadrangle of buildings with their principal facades facing outwards. On the west the Law Courts, on the south The Municipal Offices, on the east the Guildhall and on the north the Art Block. EXTERIOR: all the buildings symmetrical in composition, generally Classical in style and faced in Portland stone. Law Courts Centrepiece in the hall arched recess containing the entrance and flanked by 9-bay lower 2-storeyed wings. Above and behind the entrance rises the tall, gently tapering tower with clock, open bell stage and low pyramidal roof. Municipal Offices has pedimented centrepiece with the entrance within a tall arched recess above which is/are the City's Arms. Left and right, 5-bay lower 2-storeyed wings link with transverse administration blocks to form a shallow courtyard whose short sides terminate in sparsely fenestrated corner pedimented pavilions. The transverse blocks with 6-bay facades. The Guildhall has a large gabled public assembly hall with refreshment rooms left and right and a lower flat-roofed entrance hall with hexastyle Ionic portico. Wings to left and right create a courtyard. The Art Block was originally designed to house the Art Gallery and School of Art but was later required to house also the Central Library; so that the central entrance leads to the Art Gallery on the first floor and a porch on the left of the courtyard leads to the Library and one on the right leads to the School of Art on the ground floor under the Art Gallery. The composition is again that of a centrepiece with flanking wings and side blocks to form a courtyard. INTERIOR: not inspected. _





------------------------------------------------------------------------------~



Listing NGR: SU4255313582

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SU 41825 12229

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Sep-2014 at 10:55:34.