List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHAPEL MILLS, AMERICAN WHARF

List entry Number: 1091968

Location

CHAPEL MILLS, AMERICAN WHARF, ELM STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
City of SouthamptonUnitary Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 14-Nov-1988

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 135996

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The following buildings shall be added to the list

SU 4211 ELM STREET

4/302 Chapel Mills, American Wharf GV II*

Steam mill, bake house and grain store. A complex building of which the south eastern part is a steam mill and bakehouse of 1781 built by Aaron Moody and Christopher Potter to provide biscuits for the victualling of the Royal Navy during the American War of Independence. This was extended to the north and west to form a further bakehouse and grain store 1800-1811 to increase the victualling of the fleet at the time of the Napoleonic Wars and in 1869 some original timber posts were replaced by cruciform cast iron columns. In the 1920s the early C19 building had iron framed windows inserted in the south elevation only. The original 1781 building is of 3 storeys brick in flemish bond with hipped roof (in 4 hips to east front) now pantiled. South front has 2 windows, the top floor and one of the 1st floor windows original sashes, the rest casements with cambered head linings to lower floors and oval-shaped iron ties. East front has 4 original pivoting sashes and gabled wooden hoist to the north end. Interior retains original wooden aisle posts except for ground floor which had cruciform cast iron columns inserted in 1869. Attached to the north and west is the bakehouse and grain store extension of 1800-1811. 3 storeys brick, the west front stuccoed since the 1930s. Roof, plain tiled to south and pantiled to west. West front incorporating a former domestic building of 3 storeys, 3 bays with verticals only to 2nd floor windows and 6 panes to 1st floor windows. Ground floor has wide C20 inserted doors. To the south of this is the former grain store, also of 3 storeys with attics and 4 pivoting sashes and 2 gabled hoists with wooden doors to all floors. Cross-shaped iron ties. South front has 5 1920s iron framed windows and oval and cross shaped iron ties. Interior has cruciform cast iron columns of 1869 by the firm of Blumfield and Dalby, Southampton. Some of the original wooden posts still survive against the walls in both the 1781 and 1800-11 parts of the building. James Watt described Chapel Steam Mill as having 10 ovens which both discharged 16 times each day and wight 3 cwt of bread. This was only the 3rd steam mill to be built in the country and the only survivor of the early generation of steam mills.

Listing NGR: SU4255313582

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SU 42985 11533

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Jul-2014 at 07:33:30.