List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: RECTORY

List entry Number: 1091840

Location

RECTORY

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
GloucestershireTewkesburyDistrict AuthorityBuckland

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 04-Jul-1960

Date of most recent amendment: 07-Sep-1987

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 134785

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BUCKLAND BUCKLAND VILLAGE SP 03 NE 2/4 Rectory (formerly listed as part of 4.7.60 Rectory including Stables) GV I Rectory. Circa 1480, altered C17, mid C19, 1932 by Detmar Blow. Stone approaching ashlar; east end cross wing random rubble, Flemish garden-wall bond brick to single-storey end; stone slate roof; Welsh slate to single-storey. Two-bay central hall with cross passage, crosswing right, single-storey wing beyond; on left 2 room block in line with hall, narrow parallel wing behind. Entrance front: plinth; two 2-light mullion and transom windows to hall, plain chamfer. To left, 4-centred arch to doorway, boarded double doors with cover strips, mid C19 two-light and 3- light mullion and transom windows, hoodmoulds. First floor 2-light mullioned window in stone oriel above door, 2-light mullioned window to left. Parapet gable on left, stone gable chimney; gabled dormer with 2-light casement, chimney from eaves, 2 similar dormers. To right of hall cross wing projects, no plinth, 2-light mullioned window left-return, 3-light gable, 2-light off-centre above. Two chimneys from eaves right return: brick wing on right. Garden front: plinth, two 2-light tall mullion and transom windows to hall, hollow chamfer, trefoil heads to lights. Series of square holes at mid level across facade; 4-centred head to doorway on right, half-glazed door. Above, blocked window slightly to left, chimney from eaves. Narrow parallel wing projects on right, close- studded truss in gable: jamb of former door on corner. Plinth steps up right end: various blocked slits and windows, vertical joint in wall; 3-light mullioned window above left with trefoil heads; parapet gable right end with stone cross on apex. To left of hall projecting cross wing, no plinth, 3-light wooden mullion and transom window, flat, stone voussoired head. Three light mullioned window above; 4-pane window right return. On left brick wing set back. Interior: 2-bay great hall, stone-paved floor slightly higher than ends, plastered walls, lined as ashlar to north. Shutters to windows, original on west. C15 stained glass in top of west windows, including rebus of William Grafton, rector 1466-1483. No fireplace. Jettied close-studded timber-framed wall to south, hollow chamfer to joists below (also in passage beyond), moulded jetty bressumer and tie beams; framing in 2 tiers, numbered. Moulded eaves, hammer-beam truss, curved braces, applied angels; 2 pairs purlins, curved wind braces. Six-panel doors to passage (in 2 tiers), 4-centred arches, leaf carving in spandrels. Room on left end entrance panelled shutters, mid C19 stone fireplace surround with quatrefoils to corners, sunk panelled jambs; panelled casing to ceiling beam. Dining room in cross wing, fielded-panelled shutters, window seats, fireplace surround cut back in C19. Spiral stone stairs from passage on south of hall, casement moulding to door at head of stairs. Two-bay main room adjoining hall, bolection-moulded surround to fireplace, fielded- panels adjoining cupboard door, moulded cornice, inserted main beam to ceiling (C17). Two-panel doors to rooms to south, subdivided c1700 from one room. Attics, chamfered rafters, collar, queen struts and curved braces to truss over main room, 2 pairs purlins with wind braces: roof simplified slightly to south. Belonged to Gloucester Abbey until Dissolution: original building survives as hall and section to south: foundations of continuation at same width as hall to north found below later floors. Cross wing probably C17, west half rebuilt C19. (S. Lysons, A Collection of Gloucestershire Antiquities, 1804; D. Verey, Gloucestershire, the Cotswolds, 1970)

Listing NGR: SP0799736192

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Lysons, S - Title: A Collection of Gloucestershire Antiquities - Date: 1804
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Verey, D - Title: The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 1 The Cotswolds - Date: 1970

National Grid Reference: SP 07997 36192

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Apr-2014 at 07:50:17.