List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS

List entry Number: 1091828

Location

CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
GloucestershireTewkesburyDistrict AuthorityStanton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 04-Jul-1960

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 134844

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

STANTON CHURCH LANE SP 0634-0734 (west side) 11/62 Church of St Michael and All Angels 4.7.60 GV I Parish church. C12, C14, C15, C16, C17, late C19 by Blomfield; early C20 by Comper. Roughly squared, coursed stone, ashlar dressings and spire; stone to chancel better squared; lead flat; stone slates. Nave and aisles, south porch, west tower, transepts, chancel. South facade; 3-stage tower on left, diagonal corner buttress, boarded door with semi-circular fanlight, 2-piece stone lintel. Lancet above; string course, 2-light reticulated-tracery window, stone louvres, hoodmould; string course, corner gargoyles, crenellated parapet, octagonal spire, rolls to arrises, lucarne with trefoil head and louvres; leaf finial, weathervane. Nave: square-set corner buttress, 3-light Perpendicular window, 2 tiers of small tracery in top, low arch. Porch projects, front wall extended each side as buttress, boarded door up one stone-step, arched head; ogee-headed niche with statue over; 2-light window above. Two-light window right return. Aisle window on right of porch as left. String course to aisle and porch, crenellated parapet over, crocketed corner finials. Behind, 4-light stone- mullioned dormer to nave, semi-circular heads to lights, pedimented gable. Transept projects on right: 4-light Perpendicular window, king mullion, casement moulding. Parapet gable, cross-gablet apex. Lancet on right return: parapet gable to nave, single-arched bellcote on ridge. Chancel, string course at windowsill level, 2 lancets, small, corner buttresses, parapet gable, cross-gablet apex with cross. East wall, 4-light Perpendicular window behind casement moulding. North facade: chancel as south. Transept, 2- light window, trefoil heads left return; 2-light with reticulated tracery in gable; boarded door down stone steps below. Parapet gable, cross-gablet apex. North aisle, 2-light window, hollow chamfer, semi-circular heads to lights, sunk spandrels, hoodmould. Four-light Perpendicular window, king mullion, hoodmould. Above gabled dormer, 3-light casement; parapet gable merging into tower buttress. Tower as on south, but without door and lancet. West, tower as north side; originally with 2 wall monuments, moulded cap only left of one, other E. Harp, 1858. Gable of south aisle, 3- light window as south side. Interior: stone bench in porch, 2 steps down to nave. Nave, stone paved: north arcade circular pillars, scalloped capitals, water- holding bases, semi-circular arches. South arcade octagonal pillars, moulded capitals, 4-centred arches, grotesque heads over. Western galley, panelled front over 4 octagonal pillars: stair with splat balusters in north aisle. Chancel screen and rood loft, 2-lights each side door, Perpendicular tracery, pelican in piety, cross and 2 statues over (1923). Collar rafter roof, straight braces, moulded cornice, cambered tie-beams on wallposts. Rafter roof to north aisle, dado panelling; south aisle moulded beams and purlins, exposed rafters. North transept, plastered walls and ceiling; aumbry; remains medieval wall paintings, 2 panels from medieval chancel screen, passage squint to chancel. South transept, dado panelling, piscina and aumbry; squint. Chancel carved reredos as War Memorial. C17 panelled octagonal pulpit on stem, sounding board over; reading desk semi-octagonal, made up of C15 fragments. Late C19 poppy-head pews. Early C16 octagonal stone font, quatrefoils on sides, blind arcading to stem. Two benefactions boards, various C17 and later wall monuments. Medieval glass reset in east window with new, 1918, by Sir Ninian Comper. Chancel rebuilt and dormers added 1874, north aisle 1896. (J.C. Cox, Gloucestershire, 1920; D. Verey, Gloucestershire, The Cotswolds, 1970, Cotswold Churches, 1976)

Listing NGR: SP0688634320

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Verey, D - Title: Cotswold Churches - Date: 1976
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Verey, D - Title: The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 1 The Cotswolds - Date: 1970
  3. Article  Reference - Author: Charles Cox, J - Title: Gloucestershire - Journal Title: The Little Guides

National Grid Reference: SP 06889 34313

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Apr-2014 at 10:56:13.