List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST GEORGE

List entry Number: 1091804

Location

CHURCH OF ST GEORGE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
GloucestershireTewkesburyDistrict AuthorityStanway

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 04-Jul-1960

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 134889

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

STANWAY DIDBROOK SP 03 SE 4/103 Church of St George 4.7.60 GV I Parish Church. C13, late C15, C18, minor alterations C19. Roughly coursed, squared stone or random rubble, ashlar dressings, ashlar to tower and west end nave; stone slate roof. Nave, chancel, western tower. West facade: 3-stage tower, clasped by nave each side. Angled buttress to nave each side, moulded plinth, angled buttress to tower. Boarded door in 2 leaves, old iron hinges, small door cut in one leaf, moulded surround, 4-centred arch, sunk spandrels, hoodmould. Three-light window over, Perpendicular tracery, casement moulding, hoodmould; string course, 2-light mullioned window, cusped heads to lights, hoodmould; string course with gargoyles at corners, crenellated parapet, crocketed corner finials. South side: angle buttress to corner, moulded plinth, 2- light window, behind casement moulding, reticulated tracery, wide buttress. No plinth to east: 2-light window with Y tracery, iron opening light, replacing doorway. Ashlar masonry stops to east: blind lancet, 3-light window, Perpendicular tracery, casement moulding to outside, iron opening light. Square-set buttress just beyond line of east gable to nave. Gabled parapet west end; tower with angled buttresses, dripmould over roof, lancet, string course: above as west end, but with two lead chutes to drain roof. Chancel, slightly set back from nave, two 2-light Perpendicular windows, deep chamfer, flat heads; between windows boarded door, 4-centred arch, panelled spandrels, hoodmould. Angled buttress, parapet gable, cross on apex. East end angled buttresses, 3-light Perpendicular window, deep chamfer, hoodmould with circular stops. Headstone against wall below. North elevation: chancel with plinth, 2 windows as south. Nave: buttress as south, plinth; 3- light Perpendicular window, casement moulding, offset to wall just below eaves; buttress. Two-light window, Y tracery, lean-to cover to boiler room below, stove-pipe flue; buttress; 2-light window with reticulated tracery, aisled buttress. Tower above as south side. Interior: tower supported by 2 octagonal piers, moulded bases and caps, asymmetrical arches across 'aisles', giving 3-arch screen to nave proper. Wide nave, elliptical chancel arch, Roman Doric pilasters, moulded head, plain keystone; panelling each side, with further pilasters in corners. Above, exposed gable truss, close studding below collar, king strut and feather bracing above. Tomb recess in north wall, foiled head, foliate cross slab below. Tie- beam trusses with collar and double angle struts; one truss with inserted collar; 2 pairs butt purlins with windbraces: plaster ceiling removed, probably C19. Chancel: door recess on north, probably for rood stairs; piscina; C17 communion rails, turned balusters, moulded rail. Braced collar rafter roof, with ashlar pieces, at one time plastered. Wine-glass pulpit, fielded panelling to sides, with wide reading shelf; octagonal sounding board over, panelled underside, projecting corners, moulded edge. Semi-octagonal reading desk below, made up from C15 panelling. Pews, probably C17, plain ends, moulded top; panelled, probably early C19 box pew, seats and backs faced cloth. Octagonal stone font, blind arcading to stem and bowl. Two chests, one leather covered, one iron straps; 2 hatchments. 1735 marble wall monument to Richard Tracy, with Ionic columns, gadrooning below; 1791 wall monument. Some medieval glass reset in east window. Church partly rebuilt c1475 for William Whitchurch, Abbot of Hailes, referred to in contemporary inscription in east window. Font 1858 for W. Edwards; tomb recess in nave C19. (Kelly's Gloucestershire Directory, 1894; D. Verey, Gloucestershire, the Cotswolds, 1970, Cotswold Churches, 1976)

Listing NGR: SP0548431405

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Verey, D , The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 1 The Cotswolds, (1970)
Verey, D, Cotswold Churches, (1976)
'Kellys Directory' in Gloucestershire, (1894)
'Kellys Directory' in Gloucestershire, (1894)

National Grid Reference: SP 05485 31404

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2014 at 08:02:10.