List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST PETER

List entry Number: 1091545

Location

CHURCH OF ST PETER, GLOUCESTER STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
GloucestershireTewkesburyDistrict AuthorityWinchcombe

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 04-Jul-1960

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 133931

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SP 02 28 WINCHCOMBE GLOUCESTER STREET (north side) 4/33 Church of St Peter 4.7.60

- I

Anglican parish church. c.1458 to 1468. Patrons were Abbot William de Winchcombe followed by Ralph Boteler, Lord Sudeley. Squared Cotswold lime- stone often in large blocks to plain crenellations concealing lead roofing. A very regular church, all of one brief construction period, with west tower, nave, north and south aisles incorporating organ chamber and lady chapel respectively, 2-storey south porch, and chancel. Tower in 4 stages, diago- nal buttresses with 4 offsets and plinth, stair vice to north-east and large gargoyles to each buttress, good plank door under stopped drip and 4-foil spandrels, 4-light window over, then, above continuous drip, a small 2-light below large 4-light with transome, all in Perpendicular. Aisles have 3- light Perpendicular between buttresses with offsets and under continuous drip mould with large coarsed gargoyles; the clear-story lights each 2 x 2-light under square heads and similar string below crenellation; diagonal pinnacles remain only to south aisle roof, elsewhere bases only. In Sanc- tuary one 4-light each side of altar, and low 7-light eash window. Octa- gonal rood stair turret north side. Upper parts of chancel including crenellation replaced 1872 by John Drayton Wyatt, having been modified, with a steep-pitched roof in 1690. South Porch with 2-light window over a figure of St.Peter in niche with pinnacles, 2-light windows east and west, and deep hollow-mould-surround to outer door in stopped drip with spandrels, a pair of fine C18 inner doors in similar surround, and fan-vault to ground floor. Interior: a consistent and simple interior, lofty tower arch, fan- vault to tower, 6-bay nave with octagonal piers to 4-centre arcade, flat pitched compartmental timber ceiling on cambered beams to plain corbels and decorative spandrels to arch braced; aisles with flat beam roof with 'ridge' and plates richly moulded. At bay 6 rebuilt mediaeval screen, and above this a Cl9 openwork timber 'chancel arch'; beyond screens aisles con- tinue as organ loft and chapel, but clear-story windows in these 2 bays have cusped transomes. Chancel with plain walls except at Sanctuary, sedi- lia with 'nodding ogee' heads, possibly earlier than rest of church and piscina with canopy over; C19 reredos. Roof as nave, but carried on angel corbels. All floors C19 red, black and cream tiles. Pews and fittings generally part of 1870 restoration, some mediaeval glass fragments in win- dow 8 to south aisle and in lady chapel including east window, otherwise series of consistent and well coloured C20 designs. At west end of north and south aisles two stone coffins associated with the St Kenelm legends. Brasses in south aisle to Margaret CRUMPE, 1647; Bridget SLAUGHTER, 1652; above these a large slate slab beautifully inscribed to John Warren de Great, not dated; other brasses to Elizabeth Harvey, 1685; Richard CAELEBS, 1670; Christopher MERRETT, 1624. Brasses in north aisle include John MOUNTLOW, 1693; Elizabeth DAUNCE, 1727; Thomas MARKLEY, 1671; and a fine incised stone slab to Michael BROADWAY, 1723. In tower arch large Royal Arms, time of Geo III, John Burnham and Thomas Fisher recorded as church-wardens. A fine alms chest on a pillar in bay 2 of north aisle. This is a remarkably con- sistent, but restrained design replacing a decayed earlier fabric: for a brief period in the C15 the parishioners worshipped in the nave of the immediately adjacent Abbey (now completely destroyed). (Donaldson, D N, A Portrait of Winchcombe, 1978.)

Listing NGR: SP0230428229

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Donaldson, D N - Title: A Portrait of Winchcombe - Date: 1978

National Grid Reference: SP 02301 28228

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Apr-2014 at 12:05:15.