List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: HASFIELD COURT

List entry Number: 1091444

Location

HASFIELD COURT

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
GloucestershireTewkesburyDistrict AuthorityHasfield

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 12-Aug-1985

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 134206

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SO 82 NW HASFIELD -

3/86 Hasfield Court

GV II*

Country house. Ashlar limestone and ashlar limestone facing to earlier brick and stone building, slate roof, ashlar stacks some rendered. Built late C17 by John Parker, minor alterations late C18-mid C19. Extended and refaced 1863-65 by William Baker and Rev. Ralph Bourne Baker (q.v. monument in churchyard), architect probably Henry Wood of Hanley. Music room, conservatory and extension onto east side of house including billiards room added 1885, (architect Waller). Part of extensions built 1885 demolished C20 causing minor rebuilding of north west corner of main body. Square plan to main body, projecting porch on south. Music room and conservatory attached left. 1885 extension including billiards room rear right. Symmetrical entrance front; 2 storeys and attic lit by 7 dormers with Dutch style shaped gables and urn finials. Central gable larger than flanking gables. Projecting porch below, canted 2-storey bay windows far right and far left. Sash windows with moulded basket-headed surrounds. Double string course between ground and first floor windows, modillion cornice below balustraded parapet. Central stone porch with round headed arches on three sides. Two engaged banded columns at each corner. Balustraded parapet with paired urn finials at each corner. Part-glazed C19 door within porch. Music room left, lit by large cross windows within moulded basket-headed surrounds. Conservatory projecting forwards slightly left lit by large round-headed windows with glazing bars radiating out from large round-headed plate glass central window, circular lights in spandrels. Glazed round-headed door in shouldered surround at south-east corner. West front: Tudor-arched door surround (now blocked) with carved figures in spandrels. Three-light window with carved spandrels left, probably added 1847-63 by Thomas Fulljames, traces of moulded string between ground and first floor. Fenestration of east front similar to that of entrance front without bays or porch. Roof of main body hipped with central flat roof at centre (formerly drained via a shute down the centre of house). Cast iron decoration on roof of music room, lantern roof to conservatory. Interior: C19 open-well staircase flanked by barley twist supporting columns. Late Tudor panelling in library reputed to have been brought from Holdfast Manor near Upton c1885. Bookshelves inserted within panelling broken by pilasters with strapwork decoration and Corinthian capitals, single niche above each column interupting band decorated with carved twin-tailed mermaids. Pair of blind arches over fireplace. Fragments of William Morris wallpaper now obscured by books. Former dining room with C19 panelling, C16 cornice with biblical quotation and the initials R.P. and D.P. (Richard and Dorothy Pauncefoote, died 1559 and 1568 (q.v.) tomb in sanctuary of church) linked by love knots. Quotation extended when room enlarged in 1860s by William Baker. Deep-chamfered tie beams with moulded stops on first floor. Small ante room off music room. C18 style fireplace with festoons. and urn at centre of frieze. Music room decorated in the style of Robert Adam; ceiling and walls divided into panels with moulded margins, central circular ceiling boss, festoon decoration over oval mirrors within panels on walls. Adam style fireplace, round- headed mirror over with triangular pediment. Fine stained glass in windows with musical instrument at centre of each. Conservatory; fine stained glass around window margins depicting apple and rose trees. The naturalistic theme is continued in similar stained glass windows in 1885 extension. Deep chamfered beams with moulded stops visible on first floor. History: house owned by the Pauncefoote family. c1200-1598. The medieval-early Tudor house was probably moated. 1847-63 the house was owned by the architect Thomas Fulljames (q-.v. monument in churchyard and church). The house was then sold to and remains in the ownership of the Baker family. Edward Elgar was a friend of William Baker and was a frequent visitor to the house. Three of the Enigma Variations were based on the characters of members of the Baker family.

Listing NGR: SO8251027470

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SO 82516 27470

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2014 at 10:24:08.