List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1091440

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
GloucestershireTewkesburyDistrict AuthorityHasfield

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 10-Jan-1955

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 134198

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SO 82 NW HASFIELD

3/78 Church of St. Mary

10.1.55

GV I

Anglican parish church. C13, C14-15, tower restored 1719, major restoration and north aisle by Thomas Fulljames (q.v. Hasfield Court and monument in churchyard). Chancel; coursed blue lias and occasional sandstone. Entrance to vault sandstone. North aisle; rock-faced coursed blue lias. Tower; coursed blue lias with sandstone quoins. Timber-framed porch on blue lias plinth. Stone slate roof. Plan; nave with projecting porch on south side, north aisle with entrance to vault against west end, chancel with vestry on north, west tower. Diagonal buttresses to chancel. Chancel south wall; C19 pointed 2-light window left, C19 three-light window in rectangular surround right. C19 three-light east window with C14 style flowing tracery and hood with head stops. Pointed trefoil light above with hood with foliate stops. Chancel north wall; 3-light window as in south wall. C19 plank door in round- headed surround in east facing wall of vestry, trefoil upper left. Three-light trefoil-headed window in north wall. Shouldered opening with door in form of iron grille to vault. Stone eaves cornice around vestry and vault with carved floral and foliate bosses. North aisle; C19 three-light east window with hood with carved head stops. C19 plank door with decorative strap hinges and hood with carved head stops. Stone eaves cornice with ballflower decoration. C19 pointed west window with hood with carved head stops. Three stage tower; lower stages C13, upper stage C14-15. Stair vice at north east corner. Decorated 2-light west window (partly restored). Lancet windows in second stage. Two-light pointed belfry windows with quatrefoils in third stage. String between second and third floors. Battlemented parapet with cross finials on each side. String below with gargoyles offset from each corner. Shield with date 1719, marking a restoration on south face. Stone sundial with gnomon at south-east corner of nave. Nave south wall; clamp buttresses, C19 two-light pointed window with tracery left of porch, similar window right of porch. Two- light pointed window with cinquefoil-headed lights (restored C19) right, scroll-moulded hood with head stops. Gabled porch. Timber- arched entrance (restored C19) retains some C16 timbers, T-shaped strut above collar, trefoil at apex, C16 bargeboard with carved foliate decoration. C19 side walls with wood-mullioned unglazed openings above waist height. C16 truss against south wall of nave within porch forming almost pointed hollow-chamfered archway. Original roof timbers with single tier of windbraces. Flagged floor within porch incorporating C18 stone ledges. Early plank door with C19 cover strips with trefoil-headed tracery at top. Original cross member with brattished moulding at top and moulded soffit, early lock set in heavy wooden block on back of door. Flat-chamfered rectangular surround. Mass dial on lintel above. Painted interior; 4-bay nave arcade with octagonal piers with ballflower band around each capital, moulded hood with angel steps. Double-chamfered C13 or C14 arch to tower, C19 segmental-pointed arch from nave to chancel, wide C19 segmental-pointed arch in north wall of chancel with C19 plank door to vestry, in blocking. Very small trefoil-headed piscina in south wall of chancel right of altar. Two ogee cusped trefoil-headed niches with foliate spandrels high up in east end of north aisle. Blocked segmental- pointed niche above window. Early plank door within flat-chamfered pointed surround to stair vice from within tower. C14 two-bay wagon roof in nave with original tie beam with moulded soffit. Tie beam against chancel arch with brattished decoration along upper edge, 4-leafed flower decoration on soffit, carved bird at centre, stone figure of Christ crucified on wooden cross above, flanked by two stone figures. Four-leafed flower decoration continues down soffit of braces with carved spandrels supported by carved wooden angel corbels: Cl9 arch-braced roof with collar and struts to north aisle. C19 panelled roof with angel corbels in stone in chancel. Red and grey tiling to nave and north aisle, some encaustic tiling in chancel concentrated in sanctuary. Fittings: C12 tub-shaped font on chamfered rectangular plinth at west end of nave. C19 pulpit in south-west corner of nave, incorporating reused carved C17 panels. C19 pews some incorporating C15/16 bench ends with blind tracery. C19 wooden reredos behind C19 wooden altar. Monuments; chancel north wall; monument to Henry Brown (q.v. The Great House) died 1620, Jacobean-Renaissance cream and grey marble monument with Corinthian columns and heraldry. Monument to John Barnes of Tirley Court, died 1820, white marble with urn at top and branches at bottom. C19 white monument on blocking within segmental-pointed arch below. Chest tomb to Dorothy Pauncefoot (q.v. Hasfield Court) died 1568; limestone, right side divided into 3 panels with raised moulded margins, heraldic shield within each panel and at west end of tomb. Chancel south wall; monument to James Alderson, former rector, died 1604. Blue lias with curved top and crudely inscribed winged angel and floral decoration. Oval tablet to Anne, wife of John Price, died 1707, with simple incised foliate decoration around margin. North aisle; monument to Thomas Fulljames of Hasfield Court, died 1847, and other members of that family; brass plaque with ivy-leaf decoration around margin, paired heraldic shields at each corner. Inscription at centre records the building of the north aisle in memory of Thomas Fulljames (by his nephew, also Thomas Fulljames). C19 stained glass in all windows of chancel, at east end of north aisle and in west window within tower. (D. Verey, The Buildings of England. Gloucestershire; The Vale and the Forest of Dean, 1980).

Listing NGR: SO8261627557

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Verey, D - Title: The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 2 The Vale and The Forest of Dean - Date: 1970

National Grid Reference: SO 82616 27556

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Sep-2014 at 08:41:27.