List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

List entry Number: 1091384

Location

CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
GloucestershireTewkesburyDistrict AuthorityTirley

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 10-Jan-1955

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 134273

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TIRLEY TIRLEY VILLAGE SO 82 NW 3/153 Church of St. Michael 10.1.55 GV I

Anglican parish church. C13, C14, Perpendicular restored 1894. Blue lias with sandstone quoins, tower rendered, red tile roof. Nave with projecting south porch, chancel, west tower. Chancel south wall; two 2-light Perpendicular windows with ogee cusped trefoil-headed lights (partly restored) in rectangular surrounds, flanking small C19 studded plank door within flat-chamfered stilted-headed surround. Three-light C19 pointed east window with Decorated style tracery and hood with carved head stops. Eroded blue lias monument lower left, dated 1697. Window in north wall as on south. Nave north wall; 3-light Perpendicular window with carved spandrels and rectangular surround left, two C19 pointed windows with quatrefoils and stopped hoods, interrupted coursing at base of wall position of former north door. Three-light window right with trefoil-headed lights in rectangular surround right. Three-stage tower with diagonal buttresses, string between second and third stages. Lower stage probably C13, pointed west window with reticulated C14 tracery. Slit lights to first floor, single belfry windows formerly with tracery with large stone slate louvres, battlemented parapet with crocketed pinnacles at each corner (restored). Square partially legible monument set in wall on south side with date 1729, painted wooden face of clock above. South wall of nave: 2-light Perpendicular window with ogee cusped trefoil-headed lights in rectangular surround,left of porch. Two- light pointed window with Decorated tracery, vesica and scroll- moulded hood right of porch. Three-light Perpendicular window carved spandrels in rectangular surround right. Timber-framed gabled porch, restored C19. Side walls open above waist height, former Tudor-arched doorhead with foliate spandrels in left-hand wall. Plank door with strap hinges within flat-chamfered segmental-headed surround (possibly remodelled). Plastered interior: C13 double-chamfered pointed arch from nave to tower now blocked with C19 part-glazed screen, similiar chancel arch with painted Royal Coat of Arms (in deteriorated condition) over. Stone steps up to former rood loft visible behind pointed window in chancel on north side of chancel arch. Trefoil-headed piscina low down in south wall of chancel.Coloured C19 tile floor to nave. Chancel floor mainly C17 and C18 stone ledgers. Coloured tile floor to sanctuary. Medieval wagon roofs to nave and chancel. Decorative cusping with pendant at apex, at east end of roofing in nave. Two tie beams acros nave with moulded soffits. Fittings: C12 tub font inside south door. Early wooden monuments chest with three locks and legs opposite south door. C19 wooden pulpit and lectern. C19 pews and choir stalls. Choir stalls against north and south walls of chancel made of reused C17 panelling incorporating lengths of friezes with lunette decoration. C17 communion rail with turned balusters. C17 altar table with turned legs. Two chairs flanking altar with backs made from C15 bench ends with blind tracery, finial at top of each chairback each with face with protruding tongue. Monuments: floor of chancel made up of C17 and C18 ledgers including one to Thomas Halsey of Corse Court, died 1727 (q.v. Tirley Court) and Alice his wife, died 1717, another to Henry Browne of Tirley Court, son of Henry Browne of Hasfield Court (q.v.), died 1659 and Richard son of John Browne of Cumberwood (q.v.), died 1678, another to John Browne of Tirley Court, died 1656 and John Browne of Cumberwood, died 1681. South wall of chancel: fine Baroque monument to Mrs Mary Browne, died 1717, third daughter of John Browne senior of Cumberwood. Oval white marble inscription panel within heavily draped stone surround with heraldic shield at top and the faces of two winged cherubs below, foliate decoration in and around draped surround, skull with laurel leaf wreath at bottom. North wall of chancel: Renaissance style monument to William Hurdman, died 1684. Oval slate stone inscription panel Within wreathed surround. Purbeck marble barley twist columns with Corinthian capitals either side. Broken segmental pediment incorporating cherubs' heads, heraldic shield at top flanked by 2 cherubs. Classical style monument to Anne Turton, died 1642, wife of William Turton of West Bromwich, left. Painted black inscription plaque with gold lettering, within limestone surround with decorative scrollwork and small rosettes highlighted in gold, broken segmental pediment with heraldic shield at centre. Nave north wall: grey marble monument to Robert Brown Gittos, died 1724 and William Gittos, died 1726. Grey marble monument right of chancel arch to Thomas Hopkins of Wigwood Farm (q.v.), died 1789 and other members of the Hopkins family. Heraldic shield at top. Four C18 and early C19 slate stone benefaction tablets with incised inscriptions, one with foliate border, either side of and above south door. (David Verey, The Buildings of England; The Vale and the Forest of Dean, 1980).

Listing NGR: SO8401128558

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Verey, D - Title: The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 2 The Vale and The Forest of Dean - Date: 1970

National Grid Reference: SO 84015 28556

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Jul-2014 at 08:14:25.