List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST OSWALD TOWER

List entry Number: 1091372

Location

CHURCH OF ST OSWALD TOWER

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
GloucestershireTewkesburyDistrict AuthorityHighnam

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 10-Jan-1955

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 134348

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HIGHNAM LASSINGTON SO 72 SE 3/57 Church of St. Oswald: tower 10-1-55 GV II* Tower to former parish church, now property of Redundant Churches Fund. Late Cll, C14 top, east wall partly 1976 for R.C.F. Squared, coursed lias rubble, with quoins approaching ashlar: stone slate roof. Square tower. Tower in 3 stages, narrowing slightly at each: battered, rough plinth. South face: plain lowest stage, semi-circular headed lancet to second, head single block, slightly projecting stone above, possibly originally carved. Third stage wider lancet, single-stone head, ogee with trefoil below, stone louvres. Pyramid roof, iron cross to apex. West face narrow, semi-circular headed lancet to lowest stage, second plain, third as south. North face opening only in top stage, as on south side. East face partly renewed 1975-'6, with new semi-circular headed doorway at foot, with late C19 boarded door with decorative ironmongery. No offset to first stage, only second, opening to top stage as other faces. Church rededicated on Palm Sunday, 1095. Nave and chancel heavily restored 1875 by Medland and Son, demolished 1975. (Notice on church; D. Verey, Gloucestershire, the Vale and the Forest of Dean, 1970)

Listing NGR: SO7960321172

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Verey, D , The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 2 The Vale and The Forest of Dean, (1970)

National Grid Reference: SO 79603 21172

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Oct-2014 at 10:12:43.