List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE

List entry Number: 1090797

Location

CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
GloucestershireStroudDistrict AuthorityLongney and Epney

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 10-Jan-1955

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 131789

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SO 71 SE LONGNEY LONGNEY VILLAGE

4/130 Church of St. Lawrence

10.1.55

GV I

Parish church. C13; early C14 tower; 1873 restoration by F.S.Waller. Random rubble lias; limestone dressings; limestone ashlar; clay plain tile roof. Nave without aisles; south tower, south chapel; north and south porches and chancel. Moulded 4- centred arched south doorway with quatrefoil enriched spandrels and plank door; late C15 ashlar Perpendicular south porch with diagonal corner buttresses and crenellated parapet; moulded 4- centred arched porch doorway also with quatrefoil enriched spandrels; image niche over in row of trefoil-headed panels; open-framed porch gates; internal stone seats and octagonal shaft for stoup; pair of trefoil-headed lancets in west porch wall. Perpendicular 3-light rectilinear traceried window in buttressed south nave wall, with early C14 two-light with Y-tracery to right; C15 three-light with trefoil-headed lancets in square-headed opening in recess between porch and tower. Buttressed north nave wall appears restored in C19; two 2-light Decorated windows set either side of plain pointed C13 doorway with heavy plank door; late C15 timber framed north porch with trefoil-headed side openings above internal wooden seats; carved bargeboards to crown post roof with cusped-arched bracing to tie-beams; eaves-mounted Cl9 ashlar chimney to right of doorway. Set-back buttresses to west nave wall; C14 three-light west window with string course above and below. Tower of 3 stages with diagonal offset buttresses to lower stage and C14 south window with Y-tracery; chamfered square-headed openings to middle stage; C15 ashlar belfry with large 2-light Perpendicular opening in each tower face having stone louvres; moulded crenellated parapet with moulded string course below linking animal gargoyles, one to each tower face. South chapel: C19 restored late C13 south priest's doorway in buttressed south chapel wall; C15 three-light to left with C19 relieving arch; parapet gabled east chapel wall with quatrefoil tracery to 2-light Decorated window. Parapet gabled and buttressed east chancel wall with 3-light Decorated window; two 2- light C19 restored north chancel windows. Interior is plastered with long tall nave having wagon roof, panelled at east end with corbel table to south; moulded tie- beams. C19 restored chancel arch; plain chamfered C14 arches to east and north sides of tower; 2-bay late C13 pointed arched arcade between chancel and south chapel having circular central column with moulded capital and base; raised C19 tiled floor to altar; 4-bay south chapel roof with arched-braced collar-trusses and arched wind bracing. Late C13 south piscina to chancel and south chapel; C14 mortuary recess in north chancel wall with medieval tiled shelf, one tile having Berkeley arms; C19 choir stalls and pews; Cl9 hexagonal-fronted timber pulpit with pierced tracery to faces. C14 octagonal stone font with richly panelled bowl and buttressed pedestal. Provincial Baroque memorial on north nave wall with richly carved and undercut border to oval inscription panel surmounted by bust flanked by open inscribed books, inscribed to Rich Littleton, died 1713; further left memorial with black marble oval bearing white inscription panel with rose garlanded funereal urn over, by John Pearce of Frampton to JOHN FRYER, died 1783; memorial on south nave wall is obelisk- shaped and has portrait of pedestal with urn top and weeping willow tree over, also by John Pearce to JOHN FRYER, died 1799. Tower dominates flat landscape. (C.R.Elrington,'Longney' in V.C.H. Glos. x, 1972, pp. 197-205; D. Verey, Gloucestershire: The Vale and the Forest of Dean, 1976.)

Listing NGR: SO7638112438

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Gloucester, (1972), 197-205
Verey, D , The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 2 The Vale and The Forest of Dean, (1970)

National Grid Reference: SO 76380 12435

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Dec-2014 at 07:47:37.