List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST GEORGE

List entry Number: 1090720

Location

CHURCH OF ST GEORGE, ST GEORGE AVENUE (NORTH END)

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
GloucestershireStroudDistrict AuthorityKing's Stanley

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 28-Jun-1960

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 131902

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SO 80 SW and KING'S STANLEY ST. GEORGE'S AVENUE SO 8104 (north end)

10/28 Church of St. George

28.6.60

GV I

Parish church. C12; C14 alterations, C15 aisle; enlargement of 1823; extensive alterations including chancel of 1876 by George Frederick Bodley. Coursed rubble and ashlar limestone; stone slate roof. Nave with south aisle; west tower, south porch and chancel with south chapel and north vestry with organ loft. C19 restored Perpendicular moulded south doorway with 4-centred arch and C14 ogee-headed niche over with C20 carved St. George. Perpendicular porch, extended at some date, has Tudor arch with hood in parapet-gabled end with diagonal offset buttresses; C19 wagon porch roof. C15 aisle extended to east in 1823 with bays of matching design. Five Perpendicular-traceried windows in wall with variety of buttresses, one to right of porch dated 1607, another at point of extension dated 1823; C19 pointed-arched doorway in east bay with quatrefoil spandrels. Crenellated parapet incorporating small octagonal turret. Perpendicular-traceried windows at each end of aisle, that at east end being C19 with image niche in parapet. North nave wall has C12 corbel table running full length, most corbels being very weathered but some retain face carving. Blocked C12 round-arched north doorway; remaining part of small round-arched nave window. Three main nave windows are narrow C14 with Decorated tracery, 2 being C19 restorations. C19 chancel end wall in mixture of ashlar and coursed rubble has triplet window. Reset corbel table to chancel eaves interrupted on north side by gabled organ loft and vestry; circular stair turret in east angle. Tower of 3 stages is C12 to lower 2 with narrow round-arched window on north and south sides and clasping buttresses. Pointed 2-light Decorated west window has fragment of round-arched window over. C14 belfry has 2-light opening to each face with stone louvres. Moulded string course below crenellated parapet has 2 carved animal gargoyles to each tower face. Memorial on north side of tower dated 1732 has fine cartouche with flanking pilasters and entablature. Interior: limewashed with ashlar dressings. C12 tower arch and row of 5 carved head corbels in north nave wall set well below present boarded barrel-vaulted roof with painted decoration by Bodley. Part of splay to C12 nave window survives with zig-zag border. Restored 4-bay south arcade with octagonal columns and moulded pointed arches. Flat panelled ceiling to aisle also has painted decoration by Bodley. Lofty chancel with Early English style moulded arch on attached column shafts having stiff-leaf capitals. Painted columns shafts to east triplet. C19 2-bay south arcade to chapel. Chancel is dominated by organ of 1876 with case by Thomas Liddiatt. Choir stalls are thought to be by Rev. John Gibson, 4 being carved with the Evangelists. Two painted metal candelabra of unusual design may be by Bodley; ornate gilt candelabrum. Iron chancel screen. C19 timber panelled pulpit; C19 pews. Square 1877 font with coloured marble inlay stands on central circular pier with small marble columns at corners. Tower contains collection of medieval tiles set in sill of west window. Good set of memorials in tower to Paul and Clutterbuck families, especially that to OBADIAH PAUL, died 1724, by T. King of Bath: sarcophagus with bust over and supporting putti; also Clutterbuck memorial dated 1655 with segmental pediment and flanking mourners. Many memorials on north nave wall, including John Holbrow, died 1790, has broken column and shrouded urn; memorial by Wood of Gloucester to Revd THOMAS BAYLEY MA, died 1817; memorial by James Millard of Gloucester to Sarah Hawker, died 1793, has sarcophagus with draped urn; and memorial with pediment and putti with hour glasses to JASPER CLUTTERBUCK, died 1752. In south aisle: memorial to Paul family, dated 1723, has shell background with 3 cherubs' heads; memorial to Richard Clutterbuck, died 1714, has pediment with central escutcheon and putti with tourches. Most stained glass is by Clayton and Bell. (N.M. Herbert, 'King's Stanley' in V.C.H. Glos. x, 1972, pp 242- 257; R. Gunnis, Dictionary of British Sculptors, 1660-1851 1951; and D. Verey, Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds, 1979)

Listing NGR: SO8099104096

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Gunnis, R - Title: Dictionary of British Sculptors 1660-1851 - Date: 1953
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Verey, D - Title: The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 1 The Cotswolds - Date: 1970
  3. Book  Reference - Author: Page, W - Title: The Victoria History of the County of Gloucester - Date: 1972 - Volume: 10 - Page References: 242-257

National Grid Reference: SO 81001 04096

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Jul-2014 at 11:01:23.