List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST PETER

List entry Number: 1090503

Location

CHURCH OF ST PETER

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
GloucestershireCotswoldDistrict AuthorityFarmington

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 26-Jan-1961

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 130483

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

FARMINGTON FARMINGTON VILLAGE SP 11 NW 1/45 Church of St. Peter 26.1.61 GV I

Anglican parish church. C12, Transitional, C13, C14, late Perpendicular, north aisle rebuilt 1890-1. Nave, chancel and north aisle large blocks coursed finely dressed limestone. North and east walls of chancel partially rebuilt. Porch and tower limestone rubble, the latter with dressed quoins, stone slate roofs. Plan; nave with projecting porch towards west end on south, and north aisle, chancel with vestry on north. Tower at west end of nave. C12 nave and chancel with flat-chamfered plinth. Chancel south wall; C12 corbel table comprising simple brackets. Stones between corbel brackets decorated with simple shallow double-chevron motifs. Chamfered cornice above decorated with large pellet decoration. Two C13 two-light windows with plate tracery and scroll-moulded hoods and stops. Blocked lancet between traceried windows. Three-light east window within rectangular surround, crudely executed asymmetrical Perpendicular tracery at top. North wall; flat-chamfered eaves cornice with pellet decoration partially reconstructed after rebuilding of wall. Two corbels retained at east end. Blocks with shallow carved chevron motif reused lower down in wall. Nave south wall; corbel table as on south wall, some corbels decorated with carved beasts or human heads. C19 two-light window with cinquefoil-headed lights right of porch, similar window left. Three-stage tower with moulded plinth. Strings between stages. Hollow-moulded stone-mullioned casements with trefoil-headed lights to ground floor on west. Stone sundial with metal gnomon left of slit window to first floor on south side. Two, 2-light trefoil-headed bellcote openings with carved spandrels and stone slate louvres to third stage. Two large square stone clocks on east and west faces of third stage. Battlemented parapet with moulded string. Weathervane. Late C19 vestry and north aisle. C14 buttressed porch on south side of nave with pointed arch of 2 orders and moulded hood. Stone seats along side walls. Flag floor. C20 plank door to nave within C12 surround with intersecting circles on the level, diaper decoration on tympanum and enclosed in a chevroned arch supported on jamb shafts with voluted capitals and tongued bases. Roof; flat and stepped coping at gable ends. Early cross finial at apex of gable end of chancel. Similar but C19 cross finial at gable end of nave. Carved saddle (probably formerly with cross finial) at apex of porch gable. Church interior: 3-bay nave arcade with cylindrical piers and large overhanging scalloped capitals and pointed arches. Fine C12 chancel arch of 3 orders rising from engaged columns with voluted capitals. Chevroned decoration to two outer orders, inner order decorated with double chevron motif with finely carved 4-petal flowers in addition. C19 pointed arch from chancel to vestry and from east end of north aisle to vestry. Double-chamfered pointed arch from nave to base of tower. Archway blocked 1954, C20 plank door flanked by single lights with chamfered jambs. Blocked single C12 round-headed light above arch. C19 four-bay roof to nave with braced collar and 'V'-struts. Curved wind-bracing below purlin. C20 panelled roof to chancel with brattished cornice. Segmental- headed piscina right of altar. Carved stone fragment possibly representing a gate, set in splay of window right of altar. Stone flag and parquet flooring. Furniture and fittings; octagonal stone font of 1784 in Gothick style, inside south door. Fine early C18 oak pulpit decorated with simple inlay, finely carved nulling around top. Fine brass Art Nouveau lectern in memory of Major General William Noel Waller, died 1909. C20 pews and choir stalls. C17 communion rail with turned balusters. Stone altar table supported by 3 circular stone columns. Monuments; small brass inscription plaque to 'Thomas Cox of Lincolns Inn Barraster, died 1658' under chancel arch. Large stone ledger at centre of chancel aisle to Miriam, died 1734 and John Eykyn, died 1768. Two small brass plaques either side one to 'Dorothy Smith, wife of William Smith of Alvscote, Oxon, died 1668'. One to Humphrey Smith, died 1659. Small brass plaque set in ledger to Winnifred Smith, died 1662. Two stone ledgers in front of alter. Right-hand ledger to Humphrey Smith died 1688/7. Left-hand ledger to Elizabeth Dynely, died 1789. Possibly C16 or C17 carved stone decorated with heraldic emblems comprising a crowned rose at centre, tree on right and a gate-like emblem (the latter matching the carved stone set in the splay of a window in the chancel). Pointed moulded hood with foliate decoration. Three C20 monuments on south wall of nave. C19 stained glass in east window. (David Verey, The Buildings of England, Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds, 1979)

Listing NGR: SP1365515272

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Verey, D , The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 1 The Cotswolds, (1970)

National Grid Reference: SP 13654 15270

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Oct-2014 at 06:21:20.