List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST PETER

List entry Number: 1090415

Location

CHURCH OF ST PETER, THE GREEN

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
GloucestershireCotswoldDistrict AuthorityWindrush

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 26-Jan-1961

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 130679

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WINDRUSH THE GREEN, Windrush Village SP 1913 10/242 Church of St. Peter 26,1.61 GV I

Anglican parish church. C12, C14, C15, chancel restored in 1874 by Henry Woodyer. Nave with aisle and chapel on south side, chancel with vestry and organ chamber on north, west tower. Nave, south aisle, chapel and tower; coursed squared and dressed limestone. Chancel, vestry and organ chamber; ashlar. Stone slate roof. Nave north wall; moulded plinth interrupted by C19 plank north door with decorative strap hinges within moulded 4-centred arched surround, formerly with gabled canopy. Small C15 two-light window with casement-moulded and stopped hood, lighting clerestory above. Similar but larger 2 and 3-light windows either side. Hood with scrolled stops over left-hand window. Parapet with moulded string and three large gargoyles in the form of carved heads. South aisle; C19 plank south door with decorative hinges within a round- headed C12 surround, decorated with a finely carved double row of beak heads. Single pair of engaged columns either side of doorway with scalloped capitals with abaci with simple palmette decoration. Inner row of beak heads partly covers the engaged columns. Shallow C20 gabled canopy over. Four-light C15 window left within rectangular casement-moulded surround with stopped hood and moulded stone mullions. Left-hand return contains a small round-headed window with flat-chamfered surround, now blocked with probably C19 commemorative stone plaque to Thomas, son of Thomas and Elizabeth Jackson, at bottom of blocking. Parapet with moulded string. Hungerford Chapel projects forwards right of south door; moulded plinth. Three-light Decorated south window with stopped hood. Sundial with metal gnomon above window. C19 organ chamber and vestry set back on right. C19 plank door to vestry within moulded surround. Single light windows on south side. Three-light window within rectangular surround on east. Chancel; flat-chamfered plinth. Diagonal buttresses at east end, buttress on north. Three-light C19 east window with Perpendicular style tracery. Two C19 two-light windows with pointed surrounds on north side of chancel. Three-stage tower with moulded plinth, moulded string c0.5m above plinth. Blocked west doorway. Two-light pointed window above with simple blind Perpendicular tracery. Stair turret at south-east corner with external access via C19 plank door up stone steps. Tall 2-light belfry openings with stone slate louvres, blind Perpendicular tracery and hoods with stops in the form of animal heads. Battlemented parapet with moulded string with large animal head gargoyles. Stepped coping at gable ends of nave and chancel. Remains of an upright cross finial at gable end of chancel. Church interior; five-bay nave with aisle and Hungerford Chapel on south. Chancel with organ chamber and vestry on south. Three-bay nave arcade of c1200 with cylindrical piers with moulded capitals and bases and pointed double-chamfered arches with hoods with sheep's head terminals. C12 chancel arch with ornate jamb shafts and scalloped capitals, abaci with sawtooth decoration slightly later pointed arch above. Pointed arch with double casement moulding to tower. C19 pointed arch from chancel to organ chamber. C19 plank door within pointed arch to left, C19 sedilia and piscina far left. Continuous hoodmould over all three openings. C19 pointed arch from organ chamber to Hungerford Chapel. Cinquefoil- headed piscina within south transept. Trussed rafter roof to chancel. C15 five-bay king-post roof to nave with braced collar supported on reused C12 corbels in the form of animal heads. Double butt purlins. Trussed rafter roof to Hungerford Chapel. C19 coloured and encaustic tile flooring. Furniture and fittings; fine C15 octagonal stone font adjacent to south door with quatrefoils in each face. C17 carved oak pulpit with blind arcading and 'S'-scrolls decoration. C19 wooden pews. Choir stalls with probably C18 turned balusters (probably reused from former communion rails), present communion rails C20 with decorative wrought-iron uprights. Monuments; C17 ledger to right of altar to Michael Mills. Ledger left of altar to Mary, wife of Michael Mills, Vicar of Windrush, died 1683. Five ledgers set into floor of aisle, mostly C18 to members of the Broad family. Two C19 white marble commandment tablets on west wall of tower. Ledger leaning against east wall of Hungerford Chapel to George Hungerford (q.v. The Manor) and Katherin, his wife, daughter of Edward Fabian of Compton, Berkshire, died 1597. (David Verey, The Buildings of England; The Cotswolds, 1979; and V.C.H. Vol VI)

Listing NGR: SP1932913042

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Gloucester, (1965)
Verey, D , The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 1 The Cotswolds, (1970)

National Grid Reference: SP 19327 13041

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Oct-2014 at 06:14:19.