List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

List entry Number: 1090247

Location

CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
GloucestershireCotswoldDistrict AuthorityChedworth

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 26-Jan-1961

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 131072

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CHEDWORTH CHEDWORTH VILLAGE SP 0512 10/46 Church of St Andrew 26.1.61

GV I

Anglican parish church. Late C12, C13, C15, nave north aisle rebuilt 1883 by Waller. Nave: ashlar. Chancel, north aisle and south porch: limestone rubble. Tower: limestone rubble with squared and finely dressed clasping buttresses. Plan: nave with projecting south porch and north aisle: chancel,with vestry on the north; west tower. Nave south wall (reputed to have been built at the expense of the Neville family), inscription dated 1461 commemorating Richard Sely (probably the Neville's bailiff) on the buttress to the right of the porch: plinth with moulded capping; five fine tall 3-light Perpendicular windows (two curtailed by the porch gable); buttresses with offsets and moulded copings; projecting multi-angular stair turret (dated 1485) to rood loft with decorative pierced stone ventilation panel; large painted sundial with metal gnomon above; moulded cornice with small carved faces and bats; stone slab roof rising up to an engaged finial. Double studded C19 door within porch with a 4-centred arched surround (dated 1491 on the right-hand jamb) with carved spandrels with shields and foliate decoration all within a rectangular casement-moulded surround behind a rere-arch with pierced spandrels. Image niche with flat-chamfered basket-headed surround above the door. Battlemented parapet with crocketed pinnacle at the south-east corner and string with large gargoyles (including a frog). C13 chancel with roll-moulded corbels on the north and south. C14 pointed 2-light window to the right with plate tracery and scroll-moulded hood; narrow C19 plank door with decorative hinges within a flat-chamfered round-headed surround between the two windows. Three-light Perpendicular east window with scroll- moulded hood with scrolled stops and a relieving arch. Partly blocked lancet window on the north side of the chancel. Flat- roofed C19 vestry to the right with plank priest's door with decorative hinges within a Tudor-arched surround with carved spandrels with thistle flower decoration. North wall of C19 north aisle; side buttresses with offsets; three 3-light stone- mullioned windows with tracery, within rectangular surrounds. Late C12 tower with C15 fourth stage; narrow early studded plank west door with an early thumb latch and lock, within a restored round- headed surround; strings between stages; C12 belfry windows (now blocked) to the third stage, two retaining their central square- sectioned mullions and semi-circular lintels and hoods; pointed single-light belfry windows with stone slate louvres to the fourth stage. C19 clock above the south belfry window. Battlemented parapet with string with gargoyles. C13/14 gabled porch with double-chamfered arched entrance (the inner arch spring from moulded corbels) and stopped hood. Flagged floor. Late C18-early C19 roof with braced collar. Freestanding rectangular block of limestone (c30 x 40cm) with two small rectangular niches (the lower with a pierced hole at the rear) on wooden bench within porch; single flower and cross motif to the right of and cut by the upper niche. Church roof; stepped coped gables; upright and roll-cross finials at the gable ends. Plastered interior with 5-bay nave; 7-bay north aisle; 2 bay chancel. Late C12 three-bay nave arcade with cruciform piers with corner shafts and bigger semi-circular responds to the arch openings and scalloped capitals. The wall above the arcade was raised in the C15 to correspond with the south wall. Late C12 depressed semi-circular tower arch of 3 orders. Early English chancel arch with stiff leaf capitals. C19 pointed arch from the north aisle to the organ chamber and from the organ chamber to the chancel. Early panelled wagon roof resting on carved head and heraldic stone corbels to chancel. C15 moulded and cambered tie beams supported on brackets from C15 carved head corbels to nave (panelling replaced C19 or early C20). C19 arch-braced roof trusses with wind-bracing to vestry. Flagged floor to the nave; encaustic tile to chancel. C13 trefoil-headed piscina with roll- moulded surround in the south wall of the chance. Small 4-centred arched headed piscina in the nave south wall. Flat-chamfered Tudor-arched doorway giving access to the rood loft now blocked by a fine C15 octagonal stone pulpit with blind tracery, crocketing and engaged pinnacles. C12 limestone tub font inside the south door with blind arcading. Niche containing the figure of the Madonna and child by Helen Rock c1911 in the north wall of the north aisle. C20 pews and choir stalls. C18 wooden lectern with barley-twist column and caryatid figures at the bottom. Monuments: marble monument to John and Elizabeth Ballinger, died 1789 and 1788 respectively, erected by Charles Ballinger of Chalford, clothier. Marble monument to Anne Eliza wife of Revd Cornelius Pitt, curate, died 1825 and the Revd Cornelius Pitt, died 1840, by Emmanuel Bridges of Chedworth. Monuments at the base of tower: two C18 monuments on the west wall, one to Thomas Rogers, died 1742 and other members of that family with faded inscription and cartouche- like surround with 3 cherub heads, formerly with 3 ball finials at the top. Oval memorial to Revd James Rawes, former Vicar, with. pink marble inlay and ribbon tie at the top. Benefaction board below outlining a benefaction by Charles Ballinger, dated 1798. Monument to John, son of Thomas Rogers and Dennis, his wife, died 1724 on the north wall with a cartouche-like surround with single cherub's head at the top, formerly with a single ball finial. Monument to George Nelson, former curate, died 1811 on the south wall; limestone with a rectangular stone plaque with a raised surround. Stained glass: C15 stained glass on the partly blocked lancet window in the north wall of the chancel depicting 'the man in the moon', Tudor roses, stars and a crown; fragments of similar glass reset in the base of one of the south chancel windows. C19 stained glass in the remaining chancel windows. (V.C.H. Glos. Vol VII, p173; and David Verey, The Buildings of England: The Cotswolds)

Listing NGR: SP0516812121

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Verey, D - Title: The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 1 The Cotswolds - Date: 1970
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Page, W - Title: The Victoria History of the County of Gloucester - Date: 1981 - Volume: 7 - Page References: 173

National Grid Reference: SP 05169 12125

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Jul-2014 at 02:43:44.