List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF THE HOLY ROOD

List entry Number: 1090207

Location

CHURCH OF THE HOLY ROOD, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
GloucestershireCotswoldDistrict AuthorityDaglingworth

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 26-Nov-1958

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 131182

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

DAGLINGWORTH CHURCH LANE SO 9904 18/158 Church of the Holy Rood 26.11.58

GV I

Anglican parish church. C11 and C15, heavily restored 1845-50. Nave and south porch: limestone rubble with dressed stone quoins. Chancel, north aisle and vestry: coursed squared and dressed limestone. Tower: ashlar. Stone slate roof with a coursed squared and dressed limestone stack. Nave with south porch, north aisle and west tower, chancel, C11 nave with long and short work rebated to give the appearance of a pilaster, at each corner (except the north west). Nave south wall (from left to right: small narrow round-head window (probably C12) now blocked; C19 pointed 2-light window with quatrefoil and moulded hood. Narrow C11 round-headed doorway within porch with imposts with cable decoration; C11 mass dial with raised circular margin above the door. C15 studded door with fillets; early strap hinges and blind tracery with foliate decoration at the top. Possibly C15 pointed 2-light window with hollow-chamfered mullion to the right of the porch. C19 chancel with reused C11 long and short work (rebated to resemble pilasters) at the east end. Blocked pointed-arched priest's door to the south wall; pointed 2-light stone-mullioned window with a quatrefoil and scroll-moulded hood with foliate stops to the right. Pointed 3-light east window with tracery and scroll- moulded hood with stops in the form of angels. C19 vestry: rectangular Roman votive stone reused C11-C12 as window, with two small round-headed lights with rebated surrounds (formerly at the east end of the chancel). C19 north aisle with clasping and side buttresses; 3 pointed windows with deeply rebated surrounds; single similar window at the west end. C15 two stage tower with diagonal buttresses and a moulded plinth: 2-light pointed window with a hollow-chamfered mullion quatrefoil and moulded hood with square stops on the west; narrow flat-chamfered Tudor-arched doorway up 2 stone steps on the south; 2-light pointed belfry windows with quatrefoils, stone slate louvres and moulded hoods with large head stops; moulded string between stages and below the battlemented parapet. C15 gabled porch with early plank door with strap hinges within a round-headed surround with large dressed stone jambs and imposts; sundial with two faces towards the apex of the gable; Porch interior: C19 roof dated and initialled 'I. G / 1844'; C19 stone bench seats; flagstone floor with four brass plaques (from left to right to Elizabeth Hinton died 1826; Giles Hancock, died 1684 with rhyming verse; plaque to Jane Roberts died 1826 below; plaque recording a benefaction to the poor by 'Giles Handcox' dated 1638, decorated with stylized rose branches. Plastered interior: 3-bay nave arcade. Heavily restored round- headed chancel arch with imposts with pellet decoration. Pointed C15 casement-moulded tower arch. North aisle divided by a C19 round-headed arch. The western end of the nave retains a single early roof truss with a braced collar beam; roughly hewn common rafters either side of this truss, double purlins. The remainder of the nave has a C19 roof with braced collar beams to each rafter; a single purlin and a collar purlin. C19 roof to north aisle; C19 wagon roof to the chancel. Flagged floor throughout. Small C12 altar with a pair of C12 shafts with cushion capitals and bases (found during the removal of a priest's upper chamber formerly at the west end of the nave, during the restoration of 1845) now reset in the north wall of the chancel. C19 semi-circular headed piscina in the south wall of the chancel. Four C11 carved stone slabs (formerly built into the chancel arch) decorated with figures carved in relief in the Syrian tradition, reset in the walls of the nave and north aisle, those on the east wall of the nave above the pulpit and that to the right of the south door depict Christ crucified. The other two stones are reset in the north wall of the north aisle and represent St Peter and Our Lord enthroned respectively. Furniture and fittings: C15 octagonal font with quatrefoil, four-leafed flower and Tudor rose decoration, inside the south door; C19 pews, reading desk and pulpit; C18 communion rail with simple turned balusters. C19 wooden communion table. Monuments on south wall of nave from left to right: monument erected by Mary Webb in 1731 to members of the King and Webb families with highly ornate oval surround decorated with cherubs, fruit and flowers and drapery with four skulls at the bottom and four cherubs' heads and a flaming grail at the top. This monument was formerly highlighted in gold and black paint; monument to the right to Giles Haynes, died 1743 and Sarah his wife, died 1751 with grey painted marbled decoration and a broken pediment containing a painted heraldic shield; small white and grey marble monument over the south door to Thomas Hancock, died 1761 and Elizabeth his wife, died 1774 with urn in relief; white on grey marble monument to the right of the latter to Giles Haines, died 1805 and other members of that family, with reeded marginal panels and decorated entablature. The upper part of the monument is decorated with foliate decoration and three engaged urn finials; white on grey marble (by Mills of Cirencester) monument to the right of the latter to Edmund Hinton died 1773 and Ann his wife died 1758 with a single engaged urn and scrollwork decoration by Franklin of Cirencester; white on grey marble monument to the right of the latter to John Haines, died 1771 and other members of that family with fluted marginal panels and three engaged urn finials by Mills of Cirencester. Nave north wall: simple C18 monument at the west end to members of the Ashmead family with scrollwork decoration at the top and hanging bellflower decoration down the sides; monument towards the west end of the nave to Jeremiah Hancock of London, died 1730 with inscription in gold and a double scroll and foliate decoration at the top. Stained glass: C15 fragment depicting the Prince of Wales's feathers in the tracery of the west window. C19 stained glass figures in the east window are reset in clear glass. (David Verey, The Buildings of England: The Cotswolds, 1979; and Taylor and Taylor: Anglo-Saxon Architecture, 1980)

Listing NGR: SO9933804989

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Taylor, H M and J - Title: Anglo Saxon Architecture - Date: 1965
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Verey, D - Title: The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 1 The Cotswolds - Date: 1970

National Grid Reference: SO 99339 04983

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Oct-2014 at 07:00:34.