List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List entry Number: 1090185

Location

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
GloucestershireCotswoldDistrict AuthorityNorth Cerney

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 26-Nov-1958

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 131231

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NORTH CERNEY NORTH CERNEY VILLAGE SP01 075 - 02 075 16/208 Church of All Saints 26.11.58

GV II

Anglican parish church. Early C12; englarged c1200; mid C14; late C15; early-mid C18; restored late C19 by Waller. Nave north wall: lower half of wall ashlar, random limestone rubble above. South wall: pebble-dashed but with exposed ashlar.quoins, Chancel: random limestone rubble with ashlar quoins. South chapel and north transept: ashlar. Tower: lower two stages random roughly squared and dressed limestone with dressed stone quoins; upper stage coursed squared and dressed limestone. Porch: limestone rubble with dressed stone quoins. Shallow pitched leaded roof to the nave, roofing otherwise stone slate with a single ashlar stack. Plan: Nave with north and south chapels at right angles; vestry on the west of the north chapel; chancel and west tower. C12 nave largely rebuilt after fire 1465-1470. Nave south wall high flat- chamfered plinth: tall C18 three-light window with round-headed lights with carved spandrels; early C20 plank door up 12 stone steps, within a Tudor-arched surround to C18 gallery (see interior). C15 studded plank door within fillets, strap hinges, blind tracery, early lock and closing ring attachments within porch. C12 surround with jamb shafts with scalloped capitals supporting a roll-moulded arch with imposts and a recessed tympanum with diapered decoration; chevroned decoration to the outer margin. The diapered decoration to the lintel includes four small human heads. Three-light window to the right of the porch matching that to the left. Late C15 Lady Chapel with flat-chamfered plinth: pointed 4-light Perpendicular south window with stopped hood; projecting base possibly for a stoup or a small statue, lower left: probably C16 incised outline of a Manticore (a beast with a man's head and lions hind quarters) lower right; square stone sundial above window. Three-light east window with a rectangular surround and mullions with stepped mouldings. Nave north wall with moulded plinth and three buttresses with offsets: single pointed 3-light Perpendicular window with a stopped hood; double studded door with a moulded surround and a stopped hood. C15 battlemented parapet on both sides of, and at the east end, of the nave; string below the parapet with fine gargoyles including two muzzled bears; crocketed finials at the south-east and north-east corners. Late C15 north chapel moulded plinth and diagonal buttresses: 3-light Perpendicular north window with stopped hood. C19 lean-to vestry with rectangular 3-light north window with quatrefoils at the top. Three-stage tower: lower 2 stages C12 with clasping buttresses (south-west buttress containing newel stair added C15); Transitional upper stage. The first floor stage of the north and south walls retain single narrow C12 windows one with a round head and a relieving arch, one with a flat-chamfered segmental head and rebated surround. Possibly C16 two-light west window with hollow- moulded 4-centred arched heads to each light, carved spandrels and hood with crudely carved stops; to the ground floor stage. Single lancet to the stage above. Reused corbel head between the two stages. Incised leopard on the west face of the stairs projection, in the same style as and probably contemporary with the Manticore on the south chapel (q.v.). Transitional belfry stage with tall paired lancets with stone slate louvres and engaged jamb shafts; single central shaft rises up to a lintel with carved head corbels and moulded corbels on the east and west. The upper parts of the windows on the north and south sides were removed late C15 due to fire. Flat-chamfered string below the belfry windows. Projecting gabled C14 porch with hanging slate to the gable; double doors with open timber work; monument to William Croome, died 1886 on the right-hand return. C14 wagon roof (formerly plastered). Stone flag floor with stone bench seats; one large early grave slab and two smaller fragments of grave slabs on the seats. Stepped coping to the chancel, tower, north and south chapels. Upright cross finials; roll cross saddles, lead guttering and downpipes dated variously 1936, 1940 and 1959. Guttering over the William Croome monument decorated with vine scroll, dated and initialled 'W.I.C. 1940'. Plastered interior: 5 bay nave with a C15 coffered oak ceiling with moulded and cambered tie beams each with a short king post and two short struts; wall posts with pierced brackets, some supported on fine large C15 carved head corbels. Carved and painted bosses at the panel intersections of the easternmost bay. Coffered wagon roof to the south chapel (possibly C15), early C20 coffered wagon. roof to the north chapel: both roofs with carved bosses at the intersections of the panels. Plastered barrel vault to the chancel. Restored round-headed chancel arch of c1180-90 with two engaged keel-moulded piers with Transitional capitals either side; a large keel moulding is continued over the whole archway. Three- light stone-mullioned window (now blocked) with Tudor-headed lights over the chancel arch (above rood). Tall almost identical 4- centred archways with engaged piers and casement-moulded surrounds to the north and south chapels, lower matching arch opened to the left of the entrance to the south chapel, 1880 opening into a small organ chamber with sacristy below. Squint from north chapel to chancel. Passage squint and flat-chamfered Tudor-arched doorway to stairs to the rood loft from the south transept. C19 piscina in the south-east corner of the south chapel. Rood loft (1925) and screen to the south chapel (1914) in C15 style by F.C. Eden (q.v. lych gate). C16 Italian figure of Christ on the rood screen. C20 panelled screen with Jacobean style overthrow between the nave and chancel. Gallery built in 1754 at the west end of the nave with fielded panelling with painted marbling. Fixtures and fittings; late C15 octagonal font inside the north door. Stone chalice- shaped pulpit of c1480 left of the chancel arch, cut from a single stone block with blind tracery and crocketing. The three bands of lily pattern suggest the font may be by Burford masons. Restored wooden reading desk with carved panels one initialled and dated 'W.C. 1631', three with carved heads right of the chancel arch. Flemish brass eagle lectern of c1450 on a C15 Spanish steel stand. Wooden altar table with turned legs within the north chapel (first used in the chancel in 1634). C19 stone altar table within the south chapel with three C15 statues on the reredos. Chancel sanctuary: turned oak communion rails made 1734; Medieval stone altar slab on a later stone base; painted reredos by F.C. Eden, 1924; C17 carved oak chair; two early wooden chests, one with linenfold panelling, the other with sunflower decoration. Central early C18 chased brass chandelier at the crossing. Monuments: C12 grave slab with foliated cross (found in nave) reused in the nave north wall; two early reused carved beast's head corbels, reused from the upper stage of the tower either side; C12 shaft (probably from a small belfry window on the sill of the window to the right of the latter features. Remains of C14 rector's tomb with one crocketed pinnacle in the north wall of the chancel. Two C19 grey and white marble monuments also in the chancel, one by Malard and Cooke of Gloucester. Monuments on the walls of the Lady Chapel: oval monument to Thomas Tyndale, died 1783, with classical mourning figure in white marble by J.C.F. Rossi; Monument to Thomas Rich, died 1703/4, with cherubs and painted heraldry; Baroque tablet to Thomas Rich, Master in Chancery, died 1647. Various other C19 white and grey marble monuments. Fine classical style monument to Richard Painter and Joyce, his wife, he died 1749, she died 1757, with two fluted pilasters below an entablature with three flaming urns at the top. The whole is decorated with painted marbling. Early C19 limestone monument to other members of the Painter family on the east side of the north chapel. Late C15 east window to Lady Chapel depicting the Virgin standing between two bishops, by the Bristol School of Glass; C19 heraldic glass in the south window. Two C15 stained glass windows to the north chapel: north window as a memorial to Rector William Whitchurch (instituted 1464) depicting three figures with the Virgin and child at the centre. The east window depicts the crucifixion flanked by single figures. Late C18 or early C19 figure of St. Nicholas. (David Verey, The Buildings of England, The Cotswolds, 1979 and V.C.H. Glos, Vol VII, P.160-162).

Listing NGR: SP0185307789

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Gloucester, (1981), 160-162
Verey, D , The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 1 The Cotswolds, (1970)

National Grid Reference: SP 01856 07789

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Dec-2014 at 08:59:36.